Monday, August 24, 2009

Story of the Day 8/ 24/ 2009

This morning, I was hoping and praying that ISD would not furnish me with a “story”.
This morning was the first day of the school year, for ISD.
This afternoon, I went to pick up Sarah’s textbooks and additional readings from ISD. I am supposed to pick up books for both her Social Studies and Language Arts classes.
This is the third year in a row that the books were supposed to be given to us so that we could have a copy for home.
It is not part of her IEP- Individualized Educational Plan. That is the plan that is developed to meet her individualized needs due to being Deaf. She doesn’t’ need the books because of that.
She needs the books so that’s he can do homework and study for tests- and a few years ago one of her teachers, the one who taught that Hitler was a sort of noble person who didn’t like killing anyone and that the Holocaust never happened, denied her the use of a textbook for several months- both for doing homework and for studying for tests.
Anyhow, our getting copies for home, each year, is part of what ISD agreed to after they didn’t’ seem to be able to get her books, that year.
The problem is that , this is the third year I have not been able to get the books.
One year, it was a few weeks delay. That was after I was told to come pick them up because they were ready.
Then, there was the year that we didn’t’ get all of them. Ever. I actually had to provide the in-class copy of a book she needed.
This year, I was handed a Social Studies textbook, and a math textbook.
And told to come back. Even though today was the day I was told to pick them up.
I was nice and didn’t’ take the math textbook, although it might have saved Sarah the trouble of lugging it home on evenings she has homework.

Well, this is a story, of sorts, but I must admit to be relieved that Sarah was in no way hurt by anything that happened at ISD- that this is all of it.
I hope the ISD stories stay at this level for the rest of the year….

No comments: