Monday, March 12, 2012

Story of the Day 3/ 2/ 2012

I wasn't sitting down. That wasn't good.
For certain messages, it is best to be sitting down. This was one my daughter texted to me.
School was out, and I was expecting her home, shortly.
The text read:

Can you please call Washington Township transportation services ( the school systems bus service) because the bus didn't' move for ten minutes now.
I am not sure if the bus driver is waiting for the police.



The police?
It was 3:30. Where was the bus?
Why did she think they were waiting for the police?

Thankfully, my imagination didn't carry me too far afield.
That is because it wasn't very long until I got the next text from my daughter:

Oh, never mind. I think the bus driver is waiting for the police because the boys are putting perfume/cologne on themselves.


I must admit, I am not sure why that would make the bus driver call the police. Even fishnet stockings and pushup bras on the boys would not necessarily be a police matter.
After all, the boys are riding the bus, not standing on the street corner.
And, personally, I find the sagging pants with views of really stupid underwear to be infinitely more offensive.

I also probably accepted the second email more calmly simply because I was sitting down. I was, however, a bit concerned about when my daughter would be coming home. It was ,after all, Friday afternoon, and our sabbath starts at 6:13 PM.
By now, I am hoping that the police are efficient, and my daughter gets home in time to shower.

Less than an hour later, my daughter walked through the door.

She was excited.
She got to see a real live detective. At least, she thinks it was a detective. He was the one who was dressed nicely, in a long trench coat, and driving an unmarked car. The police officer wore a uniform, and drove a marked police car.
The policeman spoke to her, also. But she isn't' sure what he said.
He spoke to a lot of the kids. He asked questions.
Sarah could have tried to speech read him, but it occurred to her that if she stared intently at his face, he might think that she was guilty of something. So she didn't. And when he asked her something, she didn't' see the front of his face until the last word, so she has no idea what he said or asked.

But she pointed to her ear, and mouthed the words "I can't hear."

She is not sure if he believe her, or if he thought she was lying.
He did however, move on to speak with the next student.

What was all of this about? Some guys who like perfume?

Actually, the perfume was probably Febreeze. They got it from a girl, the guys did.

After the bus driver called for the police, one of the guys asked the girl something, and she got the container of it out of her backpack.
Of course, what was said, we can only guess, because Sarah didn't' hear any of it.

Then they sprayed themselves, and where they had been sitting, and their backpacks.
To get rid of the smell.
Of the pot.
The pot they had been smoking or selling or whatevering on the bus.
Which is why the bus driver had called the police.

Apparently, she ( the bus driver) had either seen something or smelled it.

This made for a very interesting Shabbat.

I kept wondering, "Does that girl always carry Febreeze to school in her backpack for just such emergencies?" " How did they figure out this practical use for the product? " and "Do they market Febreeze to students who need to eliminate that 'tell-tale' odor of pot"? "

And, if they do not already market it this way, maybe they should.
It would make a really great Superbowl commercial........

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Only you would come up with this outlook! And only to you would this happen! I know you are never bored with life. I don't know when I laughed so hard as I did reading this! You go, cousin! :)
Glad you're mine.

Cassia Margolis said...

There are plenty of days I would prefer to be bored! Smile.