Friday, May 3, 2013

Story of the Day 4/ 29/ 2013



I am very popular.
I am so popular that within a 5 minute period, today, I received two text messages, one email and two phone calls.
That is because my youngest child, Sarah, wanted a ride home from school.
Really wanted it,
And wanted to make sure that I had gotten the message.

The first message read, "Can you pick me up at 1:44 at nc door 1?" and arrived via email.
The second was a text which read " Can you pick me up after school at 1:44 at door 1?"
This was quickly followed by a phone call from the same child.
I did not answer my cell phone.

I also hadn't read the texts , text, because I was driving.
And I hadn't seen the email, because I was driving .

Well, that and I have a dumb phone.
A dumb phone is what those of us who do not have smart phones have.
It means we cannot check our email when we are not at home or at another place at a computer that is attached to the internet.
We are very deprived.
Not.

But, at any rate, I had not checked her text, her email or answered her call.
This is probably a good thing, because , as I was reading the second text, I got a phone call from a different child, Aaron.
He wanted to ask me if I could pick Sarah up after school at 1:44 at door 1.
Before he could get that message out, I said, " I am in the driveway."
Remember, I do not check my phone for text messages or answer calls while I am driving.
I like being in one piece.
And alive.
So, after I arrived home, parked in the driveway and turned off the ignition, I checked my phone - which had been very busy.
I felt this was an important bit of information, letting my son know where I was.

Since I was parked in the driveway right behind his car.

Nothing personal, but I prefer my conversations to be face to face, especially if we are in the same place, more or less.
The more or less part being that he was inside and I was still outside because I was busy reading texts and answering phone calls from him.
And because, he is deaf and , on a good day, a cell phone conversation with him is frustrating.

I also did not bother to call my daughter back, because she is deaf as in doesn't' speak on the phone.
At all.
She does, however, call me on occasion.
When I see a call from her it means, " Did you get my text?"
or " Did you get my email?"
It does not mean , " Please answer the phone", since she wouldn't be able to hear me answering it, or speak to me on it. .
So why call?
Think of the phone as a dog whistle.
I am the dog who hears it and comes running, and she is the master, who cannot hear the dog whistle.

Hey, it works.
She is one heck of a smart dog owner.


And I am.....

1 comment:

DaCanon said...

Never a dull moment :-)