Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Story of the Day 6/ 6/ 2016




My son is getting a smoke detector. I mean, the apartment complex in which he lives is FINALLY going to get one and install it for him.

Months ago, not many, just a few, he requested one. the office told him that he had to go get an official letter from a professional that he needs one.

Now, I need to explain that my son is deaf. Deaf as in can't hear. Deaf as in, when the hearing aids are out ( and this happens when he showers, sleeps and at other times) he cannot hear . yep, that annoying smoke detector that screams at you when you burn the toast you were making? He can't hear it.

Now, if he is awake, I suppose he might smell or see the smoke, but he is most likely to not be wearing his hearing aids when he is asleep - making him a sitting duck...I mean a sleeping duck, in case of a fire in the building.

So, after several missed meetings with Dr. Deb, Aaron returned a letter from a professional ( noting that he is deaf and requires a flashing smoke detector) to the apartment's management office.

Then he was informed that they would not buy one . He could, if he wished, buy one and they would install it. The office told him that the ADA and the Fair Housing Act do not apply to them because they are
_alternative" housing. Since it is an apartment complex with something like 80 units with people paying monthly rent , I am not sure how alternative it is, but....

My son told me this and I told him to call one of my favorite numbers, the one for Protection and Advocacy.

When Aaron called , the gentleman at P & A told him to inform the apartment manager's office that the Fair Housing Act does apply.

So, my son made a few attempts to tell the office- which kept being closed during regular hours. When he finally did, the message was relayed to the higher management which told my son that it does not apply.

So, I told my son to call P & A back and let them know that they needed to call the management.

They did and , now my son has been told that the complex WILL purchase the smoke detector AND install it.

Hopefully in les than another 3 months.

No comments: