Friday, January 16, 2009

Story of the Day 1/ 15/ 2009

It is 10:49 AM. I have already had too much excitement for one day.

There was a two hour school delay, so, because I wanted to make sure my 14 year old got safely onto her bus, I left for the Art Center, late.
When I arrived, I found that they had cancelled classes.
This might sound bad.
I mean, I drag my butt out of the house in -10 degree weather and drive to work, and then get told I didn’t’ have to come, but work is a grand total of 8 minutes from my house. And that is if there is traffic and I hit red lights. And if f I hadn’t gone, I would still be in my raggedy pajamas.

That is because Friday is bathroom cleaning day- and I am a loyal follower of the Kamikaze method of bathroom cleaning.
And when I am done, I am both filthy and coated with ammonia fumes, so I head to the shower.
So why would I shower and get dressed before doing this, also?

So, here I am , dressed, moderately bright eyed, and ready for the day.
Sound good? The problem is that I am not even cslightly ready for THIS particular day; I just don't know it, yet.

I start cleaning my house.
Cleaning my house means tackling…paper piles.
In my house paper piles reach ungodly heights and can threaten ones health if they get disturbed. Don’t’ laugh. Getting hit by a collapsing pile of papers that is over your head can be deadly.
So, I tackled a paper pile, and found a piece of mail from yesterday.
And I opened it.
My checking account is overdrawn and they have also stuck me with a $25 overdraft fee.
Overdrawn?
I go to the computer desk and search through that paper pile.
Only a day ago, someone from the bank called. All friendly. She wants us to deposit more money.
In a CD, in a money market fund, in anything.

Getting cold calls from the bank? I wonder if I can check to see if our bank is about to go under?
But I took the lady’s name and number- so, now I call her.
She looks up the account.
I explain that, yes , I wrote a large check that was withdrawn on Jan.9, but that I had made an equally large deposit on Jan 2. At 10:20 AM.
I read her the deposit slip information.

The bank has no record of it.

They want me to fax them a copy of the deposit slip.
This is the same bank that couldn’t’ give us new checks , when our house burnt down. Oh, we had identification, and money in our account that we could have used to buy shoes, food, maybe even rent an apartment and get off our friends’ sofas, but the bank just happened, at that time, to not have a bank manager- so they couldn’t issue us checks.
This is also the same bank that lost our safe deposit box, although, they did eventually find it.
Okay, it was broken, and it was only lost for a very short while. So, that isn't too bad. And, eventually, they got us one that wasn't broken.
That eventually was several years.
Thsi is also teh same bank that totally messed up my son's account. And then woudlnt' return my husband's many phone calls.

Back to the deposit.
Someone at the bank is sent to research it. He does and it is eventually resolved.
As in fixed. Considering the fact that the fix came today, I can say that this bank is improving.

Then, I had to call the police.
Yes, of course it involved the Deaf School, and I can’t say anything more about it, at this moment- except that it did not inspire confidence. Well, it alsowasnt' quite as bad as it sounds, read in this very brief "and then I had to...", but that also doesn't mean that it was a positive experience.

So now it is 11:17 AM. And I have already had too much excitement for one day.
I think I will go back to bed.
Even though I am dressed and ready to face ...a different day.

2 comments:

Lynne said...

Oy vey. And another death to top it all off. I'm sad.

Are all banks in Eckvelt like that, or is yours special? (Eckvelt is a pseudo-Yiddish term meaning "middle of nowhere, why on Earth would anyone want to go there?" "Velt" means world.) You tolerate a whole lot more crap than we do. We've changed banks on single incidents.

*sigh* have a good Shabbat.

Cassia Margolis said...

um, I think this is the bank we started with when we were married- soo they have NY branches. Also, I have suggested changing to Larry-a few times, most recently a few months ago, folowing something else that was "minor". On occassion "suggest" is too mild a term.......
and I got teh email about David moments after I posted this..I thought, "ah the icing on the cake!"
although, what it really did was make everything else feel like a minor prelude to the big bad news.