Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Story of the Day 6/ 30/ 2009

Yesterday, Aaron went to exercise at the JCC.
This is clear empirical evidence that neither I nor Larry are a biological parent of this particular child. There was some sort of a mix up at the nursery.

One of the other bits of evidence is that he towers over us- from a height that is currently 6’1” or 6’2” and still counting.

He also has hairy legs.

Okay, he could have gotten that from us, but I am stunned when I see him sprawled out on the sofa with these hairy legs coming out of his shorts….he was a little boy just about 2 weeks ago. Really!

But part of not being a little boy is that nowadays, he has his own plans.
He comes home from eth JCC all sweaty, and says, “Mom , Adam asked if I could go have dinner with him. Is that okay?”
Well, sure. So he changes, and leaves. I am not sure in whose car.

An hour or so later, I get another call.
“Mom, we’re done eating. Is it okay if we go see a movie?”
“Sure.”

You might notice, my spoken lines in this are rather predictable.

Not more than 15 minutes later, I get another call, “Um,, mom, one of the movies we are talking about seeing is R –rated.”
“Yeah.”
Gee, I got a new line!

“ Well, would you be upset with me if I saw it?”“Aaron, you are 18.”“Yeah, but they will ask me for my ID and I don’t’ want u to be upset.”Wait a minute, they are going to ask him for his ID- I mean a real one, not a fake one, and he has been old enough for a year and a half, and why is he even asking me?

I should also add that I can hear rather loud laughter, in the background. Adam must be really….enjoying this.
But Aaron is quite serious, so I respond.“Go see it, I don’t care.”

This is today’s story, though, because there is an addendum.

Adam came to pick him up, this evening, they are going downtown to the mall.
I didn’t know teenaged boys do this. Girls, yes, boys….
I let Adam in and yell upstairs for Aaron to drag himself away from the television.

While waiting for him, I mention to Adam that I understood he found our conversation, yesterday evening to be funny.
Adam laughed, he said, “Yeah, I was laughing, but the ticket seller at the movie theater was really laughing hard.”
I am glad he had some entertainment.

A second addendum.

I show my stories to my spouse, my children, my friends, before I post them.
I do this so that I do not come home and find all of my clothes scattered on the lawn, or worse.

I also do it because I often need to have the bits and pieces of conversations corrected- so that they are accurate- and even grammatically correct.

My son, upon reading this story , told me , “Mom, I wasn’t serious!”
He also informed me that the ticket seller was a she- Janet- and a little older than I am.

I believe him about the ticket seller.

No comments: