Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Story of the Day 4/7/2010

My daughter was worried.
About going back to school today.
She was absent on Monday and Tuesday. Today is Wednesday.
And the kids will ask her why she was absent.
She showed me her problem. She demonstrated what she should say.
” I was absent for Jewish holidays.”
I told her not to worry. All of the students at her school knew other Jewish kids and would understand. This wasn’t’ like the Deaf School where being Jewish was akin to speaking Pashto. No one even knew that Pashto was a language, none-the-less which country used it.
“That isn’t’ the problem.”
She signed it again.
Oh.
The problems is that the interpreter doesn’t have the receptive language skills or the vocabulary to turn that sentence into English and she is scared what the terp will say she said.
“Could you fingerspell really slowly?” I suggested.
This was met by a raised cynical eyebrow. She does that very well.
I remembered how well that worked last time.
And shuddered.

No comments: