Monday, October 25, 2010

Story of the Day 10/19/2010

Sarah has lunch, most days, with the same two girls. They are Hearing, and they communicate by writing notes back and forth and by the girls using a few signs that they have picked up- eat, go, thank you and the all important “bathroom”.

A while ago, one of the girls told Sarah that she was excited because Sarah would help her to improve her English by this note writing. Sarah was horrified- since her English skills are still emerging.

Today, at lunch, this girl took a long time carefully writing a note to Sarah. She said, “You know, Sarah, I lived here for two years now and I couldn’t speak no English. How can I speak English? Help me!”

Sarah reads this and thinks “I can’t speak English, at all, why is she asking me?”

Sarah suggests “speech therapy.” After all that is what Deaf people do to learn to speak English and says that she will ask her (resource) teacher. She is also wondering, now, what people do learn in those ESL classes…

No comments: