Sunday, March 6, 2011

Story of the Day 3/6/2011

Most of today has been spent dragging load after load of things out of Sarah’s room.

She is not going off to college, but she is in the midst of re-decorating, and the first step is to purge her room of all the “childish” things she has spent the past 12 years collection.

Good-bye to the card tricks and magic sets, good-bye to the nerf balls and keychain collection, good-bye to a load of chapter books that she read in Elementary school, good-bye to several hundred thousand basketball cards.
And, of course, it also meant purging her closet, where even more piles of these collectibles were lurking.

Being the good mother that I am (please don’t laugh), I was helping her to shed this detritus. I was lugging off stacks of old books and toys, and as I stood waiting to collect another load from her, she screamed.
She took a huge leap back from her closet and told, me to “get it!”
“What?” I said in my clueless-ness.
“I don’t know what it is, but it is awful! Get it out of there! I don’t even want to see it!”

Well, I have spent years being the person in the family who disposed of the mice caught in the mouse traps, squashed spiders and trapped bees to release outside, so I figured it was another such lovely spider as one occasionally finds in a closet. Or perhaps a centipede.
I really do not enjoy the job of pest-disposer, but I put up with it….but I was really hoping it wasn’t a centipede, because they gross me out …

Cautiously, I approached the closet, and looked onto the shelf. Staring back at me was a very furry, very large spider.
A very furry, very large, very still spider.
“It’s dead”, I thought.

When confronted with such a very furry, very large spider, dead is a good thing. I mean for the spider to be dead.

I poked at it, and something didn’t seem quite right.
I looked closer and poked again.

“It is fake!”

This didn’t’ reassure Sarah at all. She looked at me, totally repulsed and said, “I don’t care, just get it out of here.”
Which I did. But, I do not understand her incredible fear and loathing of this fake spider. I mean, after all, she is the same person who collected it and put it in her closet only a few years ago.
But then, it occurred to me, maybe the ultimately weird thing has happened and she has turned into a girl.
“Nah,” I thought.

But then Aaron spotted the spider sitting on the “get rid of” pile and asked if he could have it. “ Hey, Mom, this is so cool!”

7 comments:

ely said...

the hall of fame is being redecorated?

today at food not bombs someone found a bucket with a decomposing mouse in it.

Cassia Margolis said...

eeeeeeeeewwwwwwwww!!!!!!!
Who had to deal with it?
yes, I bet you are having a hard time believing it, but the hall of fame has been disassembled.

Lynne said...

are you going to sell the baseball cards? i have a friend who collect, don't know if he'd be interested.

Cassia Margolis said...

U have to ask the basketball child. I am just the idiot mother. Right now, she just has them in plastic boxes/albums/drawers and they are going either upstairs to the ex-toy closet or into the garage.
she also wants to paint her room a color that will go better with the art she wants to hang......

Anonymous said...

gross!

Cassia Margolis said...

i will post a photo- u have no idea how gross! it is the most realistic ugly looking fake spider i have ever seen!

Cassia Margolis said...

okay, i posted a pic as the next blog entry.