Friday, March 22, 2013

Story of the Day 3/ 15/ 2013



There is shortage of toilet paper.

But not in my house.
There is never a shortage in my house.
Unless you are talking about in the exact bathroom you happen to find yourself in, needing it at that exact moment.

For some reason, despite the fact that there are four adults living in this house, I seem to be the only one who realizes that when you use the last sheet of toilet paper, or have left just one sheet on the roll, it is your responsibility to get another roll out of the cabinet and put it in a convenient spot for the next person using the bathroom.
You would think this would not be rocket science, that it would not require multiple college degrees. But, apparently, in my house, it does.

At least, though, in my house, there is always more toilet paper, even if it has not made its way onto the empty roller .
I buy it in bulk. That is because I sometimes get coupons from Walgreens or CVS when I buy toothpaste or kleenex, and the coupons are for $3 or $4 or sometimes even $10, and if there is nothing that I want, and the coupon is ready to expire, I buy toilet paper.
You can always use toilet paper, so it is not "wasted".
As a result, we usually have between 12 and 36 double rolls sitting in our garage.

My son is not so lucky.

Today, one day after having oral surgery, he had to make an emergency run to the store to buy more toilet paper.
He lives with three other adults, but he seems to be the only one who believes it is important to buy toilet paper.
He has decided that must be the issue since he is the only one who buys it.

I am entranced at the symmetry of our situations. How can it be that only one out of every four adults is aware of the possibility that toilet paper could...well, not be there when you need it?

I suggested to Ely that the next time he buys it, he put it in his bedroom, under his pillow.
Then he should just wait, in comfort, or at least in security, and see how long it takes until one or more of his housemates realizes that toilet paper can actually be purchased at a store and that it does not just magically appear in the house.

My son's response was, "I have thought about doing that."

Yes, but he didn't.
I mean , he didn't actually do it.

However, with my prodding,and a few words of encouragement from his younger sister, we will see how this experiment works out.

3 comments:

Liz White said...

Both Leah and I have a toilet paper problem, in that we both panic unless we have a new, unopened 24 roll pack or two in the house! I have been accused of being on my way to being a horder of toilet paper and light bulbs! Sigh, at least I won't have to wip in the dark!

Liz White said...

Left off my "e" on wipe!

Cassia Margolis said...

I am more one topic obsessed than u are, I do not hoard light bulbs. Smile. maybe that means you are more well-balanced?