Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Story of the Day 3/ 30/ 2009

We went to Wal-Mart, Aaron and Sarah and I.
Aaron needed soccer shoes and shin guards.


The soccer shoes were with the other footwear. The shin guards were with their sporting goods.
I offered to buy him a pair of soccer socks, but all they had were peewee size.
Aaron didn’t’ think they would fit.


From behind me, as we were walking out of the store, the door greeter says something like, “Let me see your boots.”
And , a second later, “Let me see your boots.”
I was wearing a very nice pair of flat black dress shoes. I am not sure who would be wearing boots on such a nice day.
Then, from closer to me, “Let me see your boots.”
It was her speaking to me.
She gestured to my shopping bag.
A nice green one from Walgreens. A reusable fabric bag.


Ah, she wanted to see the soccer shoes.
“They are soccer shoes, “ I tell her, as I pull them from the bag.
And, as she added a moment later, my receipt.
Which I now pull from the bag for her to inspect.


While she is checking it and marking the information down on a piece of paper she has attached to a clip board, Sarah asks me what she is doing, and I explain.
She stands there gawking.
Not Sarah, the Wal-Mart greeter who is still holding my receipt and gawking at us signing.
And then she starts waving her hands around.
I really can’t describe it any better than that.


I suppose we all must have given her a dumb look. I mean, maybe she thought she was doing something meaningful, but it certainly didn’t appear that way to us.
Seeing our incomprehension, she then moves her arms around in bigger and wilder gestures with a look of absolute frustration on her face.
Then, it occurs to me that she thinks she has to sign or something.


“Excuse me, but I already spoke to you to explain they were soccer shoes. You could just talk.”

She hands me back the receipt, and stands there with her mouth open.

Hopefully, she will be recovered by the time the next person with boots , or soccer shoes, tries to walk out of the store.

2 comments:

Lynne said...

Maybe you shd start carrying Braille cards around to hand to ppl who are clearly untrainable.

Cassia Margolis said...

sadly, several tumes people have asked us if our kids will be taught, or have been taught, to read braille. sigh........The brain was installed, but no one ever turned it on.