Monday, September 7, 2009

Story of the Day 9/ 3/ 2009

Story of the Day 9/3/2009

I can’t complain that he isn’t’ eager.
Aaron is a very positive person, and eager, and outgoing, and sociable.
Kind of odd that Larry and I produced one of those.
It isn’t’ that we are opposed to people like that. Not exactly. Leery might be a better way of putting it.

Anyhow, Aaron is starting out his college career in a way that is very diametrically opposed to how Larry and I did. He is signing up for things. I mean right away.
No approaching things cautiously.
Seeing what people are like,
refusing to give your name and making sure no one follows you back to your dorm….
I mean none of that normal stuff.

So far, if I have counted correctly, he has signed up to go try 11 different clubs.
One every evening, and sometimes two.

There is Hillel. That one was a bit of a disappointment. More than a bit. I got a semi-hysterical call after that event.
Seems that a somewhat “difficult” person from Indianapolis , whom Aaron knows all too well, attended-and at the Activity Fair, later that evening, harassed Aaron.
Since this same young man was kicked out of two middle schools- one for taking a baseball bat into the school and hitting another student with it, I am not arguing with Aaron’s description of being both verbally and physically harassed by him.

See why we refused to give out names and make sure we weren’t’ followed home?

Hopefully, however, Aaron will recover in short enough time that he might attend another Hillel event before he graduates.

Then there was the fraternity.
In all honesty, you mention the word fraternity and I get goose bumps. Okay, not goose bumps. Hives.
It is just that I remember all too well the fraternities – two of them- from my years at Penn who harassed us Jewish students.

But, Aaron went in there with his kippah on his head….unless this was right after the Hillel program, and he was still recovering – and had a good time. ( Aaron did tell me , when I sent this story to him that he was wearing his kippah.)

Next, there was the Asian Student’s association. Since my grandfather was Oriental ( the old fashioned classification- nowadays that is only a classification for rugs, and people are known as Asians) and one of his favorite cousins is Asian ( Kara, of course), this seemed like a logical fit. Anyhow, I am waiting to hear how it went.

Then, there is the Black Student’s Union. That was Parisa’s favorite, from when she was at Ball State.
Parisa, in case you don’t know, is a friend from synagogue who makes, according to Sarah, the world’s best soup.
Of course this was in her previous life- before she became a respectable mother – and the reason it was her favorite was that the parties were the best.
Lots of alcohol.

Last night was the Gay /Straight alliance meeting . Also a good fit, since his favorite clothes all have rainbows.
Although, he might have a hard time finding a girlfriend there.

I am waiting for the reports on the rest of them…largely, because I can no longer keep the rest of the list straight…….

He did tell me , though, that his big concern is that , once he starts having more homework, he might have to cut down on some of these activities.

If he didn’t’ have Larry’s family’s eyebrows and my family’s deafness, I would swear he was switched at birth.

No comments: