Friday, November 9, 2012

Story of the Day 10/ 20/ 2012



Tomorrow, at 12:30 PM, Aaron and Sarah will start filming another video.
This one has some advantages over other recent videos.
First of all, I do not expect to spend the next month repairing holes in the walls, repainting the hole repairs and fixing the floor.
I also do not expect to have to watch any of my children being hit by cars, no matter how slow moving.
I will, however, be required to dress as a nun.


I have spent numerous years , every time a move took me to a new city and a new synagogue answering the same questions, usually asked in the same order.
"Are you Jewish?"
"Were you born Jewish?"
"Are both of your parents Jewish?"
"Were you adopted?"


Despite the fact that I have Jewish parents, one grandfather's immigration papers stated that he was a rug ( Oriental being the term used at the time) and a father who was not considered caucasian on his Akron, Ohio birth certificate, I happen to make a convincing nun.
Somehow that one very anemic looking red-headed grandfather who had no melanoma combines with the flat nose from the other grandfather ( the one who was a rug) and I ended up looking like the nice Irish Catholic girl from next door -
who grew up to become a nun and is now solidly middle aged.
I like to think the solidly has nothing to do with those extra pounds I have gained, but it probably does.


So, I was not totally surprised that my children asked me to don my nun outfit for tomorrow's video.

I am , however, not allowed to cross myself.

I was willing to do this.
Sarah wanted me to do it.
After all, I do a very minor "cross" every time I say the word Catholic...in sign language, because that is how you do it, on your forehead.
And it is only for a film.
But Aaron was worried and took his question to a couple of rabbis.

Well, he took it to one, who responded that he wasn't sure if it would be allowed for a video.
His sister and I thought that was was as good as a "Yes", but Aaron is more serious about this religion stuff than we are ( despite his wanting his mother to dress as a nun), so he asked a second rabbi who told him that it was not okay.

So, I will not be crossing myself.
I will however, need some wardrobe advice.

You see, along with my Irish looks, came light eyes which are very light sensitive.
And tomorrow is expected to be sunny.
Very sunny.
So I need to know which pair of my sunglasses will go best with the habit.

2 comments:

DaCanon said...

I'd go all 'Hollywood' with the glasses - really shine it on. Afterward,if there are objections, then go practical - it's worth a shot - Mama's gotta have her fun too ;-)

Cassia Margolis said...

in the end, i had the glasses off for the minute i was being taped.....and was trying very hard not to squint.