Sunday, June 23, 2013

Story of the Day 5/ 20/ 2013



I am an evil mother.
My daughter is a senior in high school and her last day of school is tomorrow, Tuesday, May 21st.

During the morning, she has a final. Or two.

During the afternoon, she has a film and animation class that is two hours and a study hall.
I offered to pick her up early.
After all, she has early dismissal, so I can pick her up one period early- and she can skip her last study hall.

My daughter didn't think this was good.
She wanted to skip her last film class.

"What?"

"I will be the only student there."

She is probably right.
After all, she handed her final project for the class in, on Friday.
But it didn't feel right to me.
Sarah was insistant.
I discussed it with my husband.
We agreed and explained to Sarah that it was not respectful to her teacher to skip out, even if she would be the only student there.

So, on Friday, Sarah informed her teacher that she would see him on Tuesday.
He was....well, Sarah said he was trying very hard not to laugh, when she explained that her parents wouldn't let her skip.

More negotiating ensued.

I , again, discussed it with my husband.
We agreed that I would ask her teacher how he felt about her being absent.

I sent him the following email:

Dear Mr. H,

As you have noticed, Sarah's parent are both equally or more rigid about rule following than Sarah is. (Remember: Apples do not come from oak trees.)
We told Sarah she could not just ditch class, because that was rude to her teachers. However, if you have nothing for her to do and no reason that you want her to show up, tomorrow, and if you would not be insulted if she didn't show up, please let me know and I will pick her up from school and take her out for lunch.

Thanks, Sarah's mother, I mean, Cassia


Apparently, my email inspired even more mirth from her teacher......

And the response that she did not need to show up for the last class.

No comments: