Friday, June 28, 2013

Story of the Day 6/3/2013- Saga of the camera- Part 2


Saul didn't call.

That was the guy that Amanda told me would call me by midmorning, today.
The guy from Best Buy who is looking for a camera that is now missing in action.

At 3:01 PM, a time I felt was sufficiently past midmorning and therefore a good time to call and say, "You never called me!", I called the 800 number.

I was transferred to Juliana.

At 3:07, I was disconnected.

I called back. That was after waiting 5 minutes to see if Juliana would try to...un-disconnect me.

This time I found myself speaking with Priscilla.
I give her the case number.
She says the case is closed and the camera is there at the store.

I have a moment when I wonder if I should be hearing Twilight Zone music.
But I don't.
Rather, I hear a very pregnant silence.


I explain what I have gone through. I ask her to please check and see if the camera is at the store.

She puts me on hold.

I expect to wait a bit, and then she will come back and tell me that it will be a few more days.
But I am wrong.

Instead, I find myself transferred to Erin.
Erin is at the local Best Buy. The place I left the camera to be repaired.
She asks me what kind of camera it is.

Erin checks and tells me that the camera was not sent out to be repaired until May 23rd. The UPS record shows that the vendor received it on May 29th and that the camera is still at the vendor.

I ask the obvious question, "Why did it sit in the store for 2 weeks after I dropped it off to be repaired?"

"We were busy."

I ask her when we will get it back.
She has no idea, but it will be when the vendor ships it back.
She gives me an order number and explains to me how I can go to geeksquad.com and track it.

Now, I am stupid, but I am not that stupid.
It sat in the store until May 23rd because they were so very busy....

No, it sat in the store until May 23rd when I called and asked if it was back , yet, and they realized they hadn't sent it out , yet, to be repaired.
And they covered up the error, on May 23rd, when I called, by telling me it wasn't back , yet. Which,w as technically true, since they hadn't sent it out.
why they changed the service number? I don't' know. Maybe to cover up what happened, maybe because they really couldn't send it off with a two week old number, or maybe because they decided they didn't' like the first number. Your guess is as good as mine.

So, I am stupid, but not that stupid, and I am also angry.
I am angry because I do not like the levels of lying that this implies.

I tell her "Okay" as opposed to "Thank you" and hang up.

Then I go to geeksquad.com and put in the number. I want to see what it says.
It has been "sanitized".
According to the website, I dropped the camera off to be repaired on May 23rd.
It thanks me for doing that.
Actually, it thanks me for trusting them with the repair.

Except that I no longer trust them.

7 comments:

DaCanon said...

I would be writing a letter to the CEO of Best Buy.

Cassia Margolis said...

Obviously, you are more goal-oriented than I am...I mostly muddled through this, although....you have given me an idea.

Cassia Margolis said...

I should also add, there are already few more installments to this saga...and that si without my having a moment of brilliance and thinking to contact the CEO...... of course, if Id ha that moment of brilliance, maybe it would have been fixed sooner....

DaCanon said...

I haven't read part 3 yet, although it is up, but I wanted to comment on your comment...
There is always time to shed a little light onto a CEO of any company, even after the misdeeds are "fixed". Most of them (if they care enough beyond the almighty dollar) may like to know what's going on with that customer-influenced profit margin ;-) Plus, a freebie or two may get tossed your way - haha.
I sent the CEO of DirecTV a nine page letter explaining the poor service I received regarding my three month ordeal of waiting for hookup service and I mean in full detail with records of names, dates and times of who I spoke with and what was said. For good measure, I also included the quickly downward sloping profit charts that were public record from the past three years to the present (at the time (2001) focusing on DirecTV, I added the company’s “Company Statement” and how they failed on it, and also included the public profit margin charts from General Electric, whom I learned was the Parent Company of DirecTV at the time. I sent it registered mail, too. :-D I managed to get my install four days after I my complaint "packet" was signed. (At this point I could no longer call it a "letter", it was a thick-assed attention-grabbing packet - haha!) I then got a response, about a month later, from the CEO himself in the mail, Mr. Huges. It seemed like a form letter but the ink on his signature was not from a stamp, that I could tell, so I knew I got someone's attention. I received free DirecTV for two years with all the premium channels and all the Movie channels. After that, nobody could tell me that effective bitching does not work, especially when you talk dollars and cents to the head cheese. :-) Can't wait to hear about your idea (I'm biting my nails - good luck)!
(Sorry so long, but at least its not 9 pages)

Cassia Margolis said...

In some former life , we were relatives. I say that because I also ( as u know) take down times, names, etc. I also, on occasion, have filed written complaints. BUT obviously, u were the more intelligent cousin, because I never thought of the CEO and the profit chart.
Smile.
I am thinking about this, because , I am also not sure the saga is done...and there are two addendums to part 3- it didn't stop there.

DaCanon said...

I think we were related somewhere down the line - lol.

Later, Cousin ;-)

Cassia Margolis said...

Smile