Thursday, June 20, 2013

Story of the Day 6/ 5/ 2013 PART TWO







I am using the same photo as for part one. That is to make sure you remember what the hotel in Hobart, Indiana looks like. From the outside.
The Hobart Budget Inn.

And, No.
I did not make reservations for my son at the Budget Inn.
I figured it was bad enough knowing what the outside looked like. The description from the review on-line of the inside was ....a good reason to not want to picture it.

I tried to make them at another hotel that is also in Hobart, and which costs about $50 a night.
$50 a night turns out to be substantially more expensive than the Budget Inn.
Which I took as a good sign.

I called up and asked about prices, AAA discounts, the like.
I gave them my credit card and got a confirmation number.
I told them my son was deaf and would need either a room with a flashing smoke detector or one of the ADA kits that comes with a portable flashing smoke detector in it to put in the room.
No luck.
The hotel has two "handicapped " rooms with strobe fire alarms, but both were already taken for that night.
And they didn't have a portable flashing alarm, because they had those two rooms.
I quickly unreserved the room.

I called another hotel.
I spook with two different staff members.
Neither of them knew anything about a kit with a door flasher ( for people who can't hear knocking) or a flashing smoke detector, and they also didn't have a "handicapped " room.
I told them that they must have one.
They were sure they didn't.
I will add here that they are part of a national chain.
A chain that is NOT notorious for being in violation of the ADA.
I had a momentary thought of calling their corporate headquarters and explaining the problem, but the two people on the phone seemed both friendly and trying very hard, but with the combined intelligence of one high school graduate.
In other words, it didn't' seem worth it.

I called third hotel, this one was $70 a night. Except, they only had 4 roosm left and those where all $109 a night.
They had one kit, and it hd been reserved along with one of the less expensive rooms.
Okay, the room might not have bee less expensive, just guessing.

I called a fourth hotel. They had one handicapped room, and it was also reserved.
And no other flashing smoke detector.
The woman thinks they used to have a kit, but she hasn't' seen it in a few years. She was the second person i spoke with, at that hotel.

The fifth hotel was ....Hobart must be an interesting place.

No comments: