Friday, May 9, 2014

Story of the Day 5/ 9/ 2014



Last week was the "drop off" for entries to the Hoosier Salon's 90th Annual Exhibition.
On Friday ( there were 2 drop off days, assigned by last name), I drove over with Vandra and we left our pieces at a very impressive mansion on Kessler.

This week, on Wednesday, was the jurying. A list of accepted works was to be posted. Well, not what was accepted, but the names of the artists and how many of their works made it into the show.
You can only enter up to 2, so it would be the list of names and the number 1 or 2 beside each name.

I didn't really bother to check until Thursday.
No reason looking for bad news.
I also nee dot explain that part of why I checked, on Thursday, was because I was headed off to draw at Herron, and there is someone who is absolutely insufferable when she gets something in. And she is often somewhat nasty to people who do not.
She has, on occasion, been especially nasty to a good friend of mine who is a sweet person.

Anyhow I wanted to steel myself , if necessary, for the evening's conversation.
I was pleased to see she had not gotten anything in.
Of course, my name was also not on the list.

So, Thursday was quiet.
I congratulated a friend who got a piece accepted to the show. Her husband didn't- a surprise , since he is an excellent painter.
The person I dislike was very quiet. Didn't even mention the exhibit.

So, today, after art, Vandra and I drove over to the impressive mansion to pick up our rejected pieces.

The woman who runs the gallery - the administrator, not one of the judges, and a very nice lady- pulled me aside and started apologizing.
I've had that happen, before.
Usually it is about how nice my work is , but you know how "they" do not like things that show nipples or ( gasp) pubic hair.
Hearing this over and over again, I am always tempted reply, "Well, I will have to tell all of the models to shave, and , perhaps, wax."
But I don't.
At least, not yet.

This time, what she said was somewhat unexpected, even though the drawing I had entered had a very blatantly exposed nipple ( although, no pubic hair...because of the pose, not because of a wax job.)

Apparently, it was an oversight.

My name was left off the list and they did accept the nipple.
I mean, the drawing.