Saturday, October 11, 2008

Story of the Day 10/10/2008 - Friday evening

Friday night is Shabbat- and we eat a nice dinner in the dining room.
By nice dinner, I mean that while most of it was frozen or ina box in a previous life; and that I have also added one or two things that may have been made from scratch ( or as close as I get) , and we eat on the good china with the good silver.

Of course, dressing nicely would be overkill, so pajamas are pretty much the norm.

I had made the usual two boxes of pilaf.
If I make one, Sarah complains that her father and her brother have taken large portions and not left enough for her.
I would feel sorry for her, except that the portion she takes is even larger than what they take.
I am not sure how many portions one of those stupid boxes is supposed to make, but I play it safe and make two.
Two boxes for 4 people. Of course, these are the boxes I bought by the case- for 97 cents a 6-pack. So, it means I am spending 32 cents instead of 26 cents on this side dish.

And there is salmon, with boxed season poured over it. But, I did make cauliflower. I mean, not from a box, can or plastic bag.
Do they put it in cans?
After Kiddush and motzi (grape juice and the Challah), we fill our plates and take our seats at the dining room.
Unless we are having special company, the food is “go serve yourself” from thee stove- top.
This means fewer dishes. No serving pieces or bowls or anything extra.
You can see how I think.
After I was seated with my well-filled plate, I see Sarah coming back to her place. She has taken some salmon, and some pilaf, and a HUGE mountain of the cauliflower.
Now, I made a lot of cauliflower, but I am not totally sure she left any for Aaron and Larry.
I said, “That is a lot of cauliflower!”
And she smiled.
When Sarah was little, maybe 4 years old. Whenever we would go to the grocery store – with her in the cart, and I would go through the produce section and buy a container of strawberries and a head or two of cauliflower, her eyes would get huge, and with great solemnity she would sign “You LOVE me!”
She is right. Even if I sometimes forget to buy cauliflower.

1 comment:

Lynne said...

I believe those boxes are measured at 2 oz servings, which is probably 8 servings/box. In my house, that's about 2 1/2 - 3servings, so you're slightly over that.

Did I send you the pic I took when Joe returned from the farmer's mkt a few wks ago? They've been getting broccoli & cauliflower that's about triple normal size. Looks like it's from Woody Allen's Sleeper. Really cheap, too. Sarah would be in heaven.