Monday, October 27, 2008

Story of teh Day 10/27/2008

My husband and I have been comparing children.

I have been trying to get him to see how his parents – who are totally enmeshed in a daily routine that brooks no variation- are really much like our daughters- or, at least, as our daughters were when they were younger. Both, through many great, and painful struggles- mostly on the parts of their parents- are now somewhat more flexible.

On the other hand, as I remarked to my husband, Aaron is more like me.
6 1/2 weeks he was in San Francisco (summer 2007, not to confuse you) and he never once put away his clothes after doing the laundry.

My husband replies, “But he had an entire extra bed to put them on!’
(Aaron and his clothes, not the dishes.)

I point out that he can stop drying the dishes. He is doing this as I am washing. “The air will do the job.”But that doesn’t’ stop him


This is coming from my husband who can’t even wait for his clothes to completely dry before they are put away in his closet- on perfectly coordinating hangers and with the buttons precisely done in an exact pattern he decided upon over 25 years ago.
I stopped doing his laundry a few years ago. Gradually, my not so perfect ways drove him nuts. I really did try to fold his underwear exactly as it came when you got it in the package, but, let’s be honest, I was sub-prime.

I add, about our son (not the dishes), “But he does take after you with the Febreeze!’
“What are you talking about? I never even heard of Febreeze until recently!”
“Yes, but he is using it to get the wrinkles out of his clothes, and you know I don’t’ even notice if there are wrinkles.”

1 comment:

Lynne said...

We are not OCD, we are CDO. That's almost like OCD, except the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be.