Sunday, October 26, 2008

Story of the Day 10/26/2008


We have about 140 napkins in the kitchen.
Not the paper kind, that come in a plastic coated block, but fabric napkins.

We have cow ones and flowered ones and ones with giraffes.
We have enough napkins that we can go for over a week without needing to fold the ones that have come clean in the laundry.

That is good, because it is one of Aaron’s chores.
You see, I am an evil mother and my children have chores.
One of Aaron’s is the napkins. Every week, he is supposed to fold them. Preferably on Friday, before Shabbat starts. But, it is often on Sunday- or even after Sunday, and sometimes it is two weeks later , when there are no folded napkins left…..
It is a bit like tearing toilet paper, which is also one of Aaron’s chores.

Have I lost you? It is one of those Jewish things. We tear toilet paper, or , at least, someone has to before the start of Shabbat and holy days, since tearing is one of the things we are forbidden to do. And we stack the torn toilet paper in containers on the top of the toilet tank. Believe me, it is worse to run out of torn toilet paper than it is to run out of folded napkins.

Anyhow, I nagged Aaron on Friday about folding the napkins. And I nagged him, early this morning- which got some sort of a grunt and an, “I’ll get to it.”
Meanwhile, Sarah and I are supposed to go, this afternoon, to Conseco Fieldhouse for Fan-Jam.
We all have our “quirks”.
Sarah likes everything in logical order and doesn’t like surprises.
I don’t like crowds. I am fine in small places, but not when I feel crowded- but I do it, on a semi regular basis, for her.
But, I have been dreading today, since it is usually a LOT more crowded at a Pacers event than at a Fever event. The sad reality is that the NBA is a lot more popular than the WNBA. This is sad if you are the parent of a girl who loves sports.

I had tried to find a friend for Sarah to bring- that way the two of them could roam the Fieldhouse while I sat in the relatively uncrowded Starbucks ( in the lower level of the Fieldhouse) and read a book. But no luck.

Then, out of the blue, this morning, Aaron asks me exactly what will be going on at Fan-Jam. I sat him down in front of the computer and opened the link.

“I’ll take her!" He exclaimed , loudly.

What?...This is a Nes ( miracle)- Aaron grumbles on the rare occasion we drag him there( like we did for Sarah’s birthday) for a Fever game.

“You will?” I ask this nervously, afraid that he will have changed his mind, or that i had misheard him.

“Yeah. Sure.”
I start getting money out of my purse. There is parking, and bribes- you know, bribes - they might want a frozen something or another at Starbucks. I don’t’ care how many frozen frappucinos this boy wants- he is getting them!!!

And, as he walks out of the room, I yell after him, “And I will fold all the napkins!”
I know a good deal when I see one!

1 comment:

Cassia Margolis said...

I am waiting for Esther ro Kara to say that we have way more than 140 napkins....but I was too membarassed to put down teh real number......