Monday, June 29, 2009

Story of teh Day 6/ 27/ 2009

We had company for Shabbat.
This is unusual.
As a general rule, we don’t’ like company. Company means picking up, cleaning and acting polite ,a whole mess of things at which we do not excel. Fortunately, this company didn’t require any of those extreme changes.
The two teenage boys wouldn’t have noticed if I had fed them on dirty dishes, not provided sheets for the bed and had used a string of expletives in the midst of numerous sentences. Oh yes, I did do that, didn’t I- I mean the expletives part. They didn't really eat anything here, so the dishes weren't an issue.

And the rest of the company , pity them, seemed to also think we were somewhat normal.
Except that Sarah had a moment of great embarrassment.
And it wasn’t caused by my expletives. Nor by the fact that, when asked what had moved me to marry Larry and I answered, “Sex”- which only garnered the comment that it was obvious I was used to having kids that couldn’t’ hear me……and, truthfully, since Sarah couldn’t’ hear me, that wasn’t the source of her embarrassment.

It was her list.

At the start of every summer vacation, I have my children - each of them - make a list for the things they want to do during the summer.
I do this for self-defense.

There is nothing worse than having your child come home from the first day of the school year crying because you never too them to play mini-golf- when, in fact, they never told you that was the ONE THING THEY WANTED TO DO on their summer vacation. It si still all mom’s fault.
So, I have them make a lists. The lists usually include a whole mess of easy to do things- easy, as long as you know it was what they wanted to do: go to a movie, fly a kite at the park, visit the Central Library, go to the book store, go bowling, visit the Egyptian exhibit at the Children’s Museum.

But one of our visitors, when he picked up Sarah’s list- which was on the refrigerator- as all important lists are- raised his eyebrows over one of the items…..which is the cause of Sarah’s mortification.

Sarah wrote under item #19 (practice ( writing) English)
“Watch Aaron’s Penis Movie!”

Which is a little hard to do, since he hasn’t started the filming of it, yet.
Anyhow, it isn’t really Aaron’s penis.
Although, it is his movie.
And I wasn’t really sure what I should say to our friends, who were no longer visiting by the time Sarah got around to telling me of her profound mortification……..except, maybe, I should invite them to see it…..

2 comments:

Lynne said...

except i know that esther & aaron know why u married larry, and so does josh - and he is quite mortified. :)
i'm glad we're not company! i'd think i was in the wrong house if u were polite & neat.

Cassia Margolis said...

polite and neat? u r a relkative, that is why those are foreign terms. They are obviously part of someoen else's disfunction.