Thursday, October 22, 2009

Story of the Day 10/ 21/ 2009

The most wonderful little boy in the world called me today.
Okay, I am slightly biased in my judgment of his position in this world. Also, at 6’2”, he is not quite little, anymore.
But he called me.

5 times.

In 40 minutes.

Now, getting a call from him is always nice. Except when they come that fast and furious, because it means that something is wrong.
Aaron’s first call to me was, “Mom, I am headed north on Meridian, but it doesn’t look right.”
Well, I knew he was coming into Indianapolis from Muncie- where his college is located- which is to the north of Indianapolis, and , obviously, the exit from the expressway for Meridian is on the north side of town. So, I said the obvious, “Turn around. You need to go south.”
He did turn around, and called me that it still looked wrong.
I ask the obvious,"Where are you?"
It turns out he was on the south side of Indianapolis.
The south side? He must have gotten really lost and taken the expressway that loops around the city all the way around to the south side before getting off.

“Okay, you have to turn around again and go north. Pull over and turn around.”

Several minutes later comes another call, “ I don’t; know where I am!”

He names some streets which sound vaguely familiar and I enter them into MapQuest. I start to tell him where to go, but he has pulled over and someone there is giving him directions.

He calls me again, a few minutes later. The guy gave him wrong directions.

He is driving down a street- but it goes two directions. I ask him to call out the cross streets.
We get disconnected. He calls me back.
After a few minutes, I tell him where to turn.

I repeat the order for turning right and left, or left and right- why is he asking someone who is dyslexic?
Oh yeah, because I am his mother.

Poor kid.

Several hours later, I get the phone call I was really waiting for. He is safely back at college.

No comments: