Sunday, October 18, 2009

Story of teh Day 10/ 9/ 2009

We had company for dinner. This is unusual.

As a general rule, we do not like having company on Friday evenings.

This has some small thing to do with the fact that after taking our showers, before the start of Shabbat, neither Sarah nor I like to put on clothes.
So when my husband comes home from synagogue, and Aaron, if he is home, we don’t’ really want to have to wear anything more than our pajamas to the dinner table.
Of course, we also don’t’ like to have anyone for Shabbat lunch- lunch on Saturday.
This is because I am lazy.
We belong to Etz, and one of the hallmarks of Etz is that their version of a Kiddush after services on Saturday is nicer than anything I have ever served for lunch. So, why would I want to try to compete with that?
But, Ethan’s parents were going to be out of town, so what could I do? And, after all, since Ethan spent a great deal of his formative years with Aaron, either at his house or at ours, he has already seen all of us in our pajamas, so it wasn’t like Sarah and I actually had to get dressed for dinner.
The other reason that we don’t’ like to have company for Friday night dinner, is because of Sarah. You see, we have a rule that everyone has to sign at the table. But when we have company, it is rare that they can sign, and so, we all end up using Spoken English, all of us except for Sarah, that is.
But, once again, although Ethan doesn’t sign, expect for those few rude words Aaron has taught him, Sarah is used to him, and so we had company for dinner.

During dinner, I did end up doing a bit of interpreting. Some of what Ethan spoke into ASL for Sarah and some of what Sarah signed into Spoken English, for him.

At one point, I was interpreting for Sarah and I told Ethan, “It smelled like poop.”

There was an immediate outcry from Sarah.

“I said C-R-A-P, not [poop!”

Shame on her mother for trying to clean it up a little, and forgetting that she can speechread.

No comments: