Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Story of the Day 10/ 26/ 2009

I always enjoy speaking with my niece.
That is not because she is cute, even though she is, because that is not something one can enjoy over the phone- at least, not over our non-video cell phones.
But I always learn things.

I am sure that some of that is because I am middle aged which rhymes with dense. Well, it does if you are a teenager, as are several of my nieces. A lot of the rest of it is probably due to the fact that I actually am dense, and some of it is also due to the fact that my niece leads an interesting life.

She was telling me about her English teacher.
Last year, one day, her teacher happened to be absent.
The following day she came to class and explained that she was absent because her cats told her not to go to work.
Her cats.

I didn’t’ ask how many.
Or if she had argued with them.

My niece then went on to tell me that the students also think she is odd because she lived in a tree for a year and her boyfriend is a lumber jack.
Now, they probably think this is odd because having a boyfriend as a lumber jack must be somewhat threatening to someone who lives in a tree- although, this is only conjecture. I can’t be sure , since I have never, personally lived in a tree. Perhaps, now that she is not living in a tree, she could develop a relationship with someone else. After all, the relationship she has seems a bit…sado-masochistic, or something like that.
But I look at it as normal. I mean, he must have spent a good part of that year getting her to come out of that tree , so he could chop it down. And, if you are living in a tree, what other types of men are you likely to meet?
Please don’t’ answer.

But, as I told my niece I really wasn’t bothered y any of that.
I was bothered by the cats.

I also asked her if she sat in the front row.
I didn’t’ think this was a good idea, in case the teacher had a sharp object and instructions from the cats.
But, as my niece reminded me, somewhat exasperatedly, this was last year’s English teacher.
Although, she is still this year’s English teacher to the students she has this year.

It is amazing the Deaf School hasn’t tried to hire her, yet.

No comments: