Friday, October 28, 2011

Story of the Day 10/16/2011 #3

Sarah was complaining to me that she would not be able to set up the closed captiosn to watch the DVD she needs to watch for class.
She has to do a “film review” as a project for her English class, so her kind and wonderful mother went to Blockbuster and rented a copy of the DVD for her.
Captioned.

I know it is captioned. I called Blockbuster and made the man working there go over and get it from the shelf and read the back panel and he said it was captioned.
And the DVD box says it is captioned.
I neurotically checked to make doubly sure before checking it out.

Of course, it could be like Up. Up is captioned. In French and Spanish.
Apparently, the company that makes it doesn’t like Deaf people who read English.

Since, after opening it, you can only exchange it for another copy of the same DVD, it happened to be a very expensive joke on Deaf people by that company.

Oddly, we didn’t think it was funny.

So, remembering this episode in the annals of “accessibility” and ”captioning”, I asked Sarah if there was something wrong with the captioning.

“No,” she replied, “it is the remote. It is lost.”
”Well, look for it!” came the not-very-amused reply from her kind and wonderful mother.
“I did. I have been looking for it and looking for it. It has been lost for 8 months.”

Her kind and wonderful mother did a motherly-type thing and stuck her hand into the crack between the sofa seat cushion and the sides and backs of the sofa.
“Is this it?”

I cannot describe the look on Sarah’s face as she took it from me.
Did I forget to mention that her kind and wonderful mother is also brilliant?

She asked. “Where do you find it?”

”In a place that tells me my kids did not do a very good job when they were supposed tpo be cleaning this room for Passover.”

2 comments:

DaCanon said...

This can be turned into a positive...
Just when one thinks they don't have a dime left in this world to spend, alas, check the sofa. ;-)

Cassia Margolis said...

Brilliant! I will do that,next time. Usually, I check the dryer and coat pockets....