Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Story of the Day 12/ 11/ 2011

So back to the IRS.
Except that, of course, they never went away.

It turns out, after our wonderful lawyer, Bill, sent my ex-employer a second letter- a letter that said, “Ahem, I wrote to you a month ago and…..” only in much more eloquent and threatening language, that someone still does work for First Steps who is capable of responding.
Even if only inadequately.

First Steps says that they did indeed send a corrected W2. And they have attached a copy- only they have attached a copy with the important payer and payee numbers blacked out. This is the corrected W2 that the IRS says they have not received, and which they will not accept from me in this blackened out Xeroxed state.

I asked the lady on the other end of the phone if they would accept it. This was lady number three, and there was a guy in there, also, from this particular hour-long attempt to speak with someone. The last attempt was much longer, so I consider this to have been a small miracle.
“We do not usually accept forms without the numbers on them, but I will not say that we absolutely would not. It would depend on the other documents.”

The other documents are an email from First Steps, and copies of the two letters our lawyer wrote to them.


First Steps, along with the information on the corrected W2 (actually a 1099-misc) with the identifying numbers blacked out , has informed me that the two checks that they sent to me, only they were most certainly not sent to me, were unsuccessfully deposited.

Gee, that really makes me feel better.
Not.

2 comments:

DaCanon said...

This is making me want to come up there and choke someone... LOL! I can only imagine how frustrated you are with all of this nonsense and ignorance.

Cassia Margolis said...

U r much too kind! Don't worry, I believe it will all work out. I get queasy about the idea of dealing with the IRS, because one hears horror stories, and they are a big gov't agency that loses us little people, but we have always been real straightforward in our earnings/taxes stuff, and I did not earn anything from this company, that year, so it is not as confusing as if there had been an issue with how much I rec'd and how much they claimed they paid me....I wouldn't' want to imagine that one!

Also, stress wise- this is nothing compared to having to deal with the school system! That is bad because ur vulnerable kids are involved!