Monday, June 25, 2012

Story of the day 6/ 4/ 2012




I kicked my son out of the house, this morning.
Not quite literally.
My feet remained rooted on the floor, but I yelped and hollered and raised Cain, even though his name is Aaron, and told him to get his ass out.

It was 9:45 AM.
He didn't' have class, today.

If he did, it would be at 11:00 AM. At Ivy Tech, home of the video competition where Charlie Goes to College.

Last week, he had classes.
Those classes started today.

He had registered for them, two of them, and last week, my husband paid, on-line.

Yesterday , for some unknown reason, my son logged in to his Ivy Tech account.
Perhaps he had forgotten which classes he had registered for, where they met, what times. I do not know, but any and all of those are possibilities.

He is, after all, my son.
Any air headed genes he has are from me. I would say they are mine, but I still have those ones in my possession.

At any rate, he let me know, and I let my husband know, that something was wrong.
The something being that he was no longer registered for any classes.
The classes had not been paid for.
Even though, my husband clearly remembers paying for them, about a week ago.
And he hasnt been doing any mind altering drugs since then.
That I know of.

My husband logged into his computer and checked.
He had paid early last week, and the account showed that the payment was made on May 30th.
May 30th being day before Ivy Tech dropped him from his class.

Of course, yesterday, when we found this out, was Sunday.
And the college's offices were closed.

So my son was told by me that he had to deal with it, this morning, so he could be at his first class( for which he was no longer registered , ) at 11 AM.
At 9:25, he said something about maybe he should head down to IVY Tech a little early (before his 11 AM class - or the one that had been his 11 AM class).

I looked at him and my eyes widened in horror....." You will get out of here now!"
Somehow, the idea that it would take him half an hour to drive there, and some time to park, and that he would have to wait his turn to speak to someone, who would need time to resolve this, and then he would have to hike on over to his class seemed, to him, to mean that eh should leave our house at about 10:30, or so.
Oddly, I did not agree with his math.
"Get moving!" I yelped.

Then I rethought it and told him to call them.

Five minutes later, he was on hold.
Ten minutes later , he was still on hold.
" Go!"
"Wait until I see how far back in line I am."

Well, he was right, that was the smart thing to do.
He was number 2 in line.
Then it was his turn.
The lady explained that he could log in and re-register for the classes and pay, or he could go downtown to their office and do it.
Pay?
Again?
Well, if they later showed he had overpaid, they would reimburse him.
Thank God for charge cards. But i really feel for the kids who can't just stick a double payment for college classes on their Visa.

He tried on-line.
It wasn't cooperating. It would not let him register for the class he wanted.
The classes he had been registered for and had paid for in a previous life that was ....less than a week ago.

So he grabbed a package of pretzels and one of nuts and started to head out the door.

"Do you have a notebook and a pen and pencil."
"No."
Get them!"

I can tell how excited he is at the prospect of starting class.

I offer him a new notebook.
He turns it down. He is taking the one he writes his jokes in. And, I hope , a pen, but I am doubtful.

I grab a pen and a pencil and shove them at him.
" I have a pen".
"Take them!"

He didn't' like my tone of voice.
But, as I said, I kept both feet planted on the floor.
Probably my most amazing accomplishment for the day.

No comments: