Thursday, September 6, 2012

Story of the Day 8/ 11/ 2012








My husband received an invoice in the mail. It thanked him for purchasing some things that were sent to a woman in Michigan.

Whom he has never heard of.
Neither have I.
Nor have we ever heard of this company.

My husband looks it up on the internet.
It is a clothing company.
And we have apparently paid for $208 worth of clothes to be shipped to this person whom we don't know in Michigan.

It wasn't our cash and it wasn't our check , so it seems suspicious that it was our charge card. But which one?

My husband sends the company an email.
He explains that we have no idea who this person in Michigan is and that we certainly did not order anything shipped to her, and please tell us how the payment was made.


On Monday, he gets an email back from the company.
It pays to Discover.
At least for the person who got our card number and my husband's name and made the order.


I call Discover and they cancel our card.
Again.
This is the 4th time in a year. the 5th time in a year and a half that someone has used our Discover card.

Meanwhile, my husband has to change our billing information for the newspaper, and the telephone company and the........

When I reported this misuse of our account, the lady at Discover told me that they now have 150 different designs that we can choose from, for our new card.
At no cost.
I admit, I was not considering getting a "fancy" one until I heard that second part.
I thought a moment and asked if they had a WNBA design.
"No."

I told her , then, that I didn't' care what design she gave us.

This was probably mistake on my part.
I should have asked her which design looks best after it has gone through the washer and dryer on high heat, since, while I have never had a lost or stolen card ( just the numbers), I do have tendency to "launder" my money.

I am, however, taking suggestions from people- if you can think of a good design that would look best after being somewhat deformed.

After all, I might as well have my choice ready, since I get a new Discover card about 4 times a year now due to fraudulent activity.

https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/member-benefits/card-design.html

4 comments:

DaCanon said...

Some cards (not sure about Discover tho) will also allow you to upload your own pic instead of choosing one of their generics. I recently changed one of my cards. I used to have ASPCA because they said they donate to that organization if I were to choose it... then I discovered that the money they claim to donate doesn't even go to help the animals, as implied, and that hardly any money is seen by the ones who need it - it goes to the executives instead - that's F@#%ed up. I now have a picture of all of my critters (cats and dogs) on my card - much more worthy cause and pleasing to the eye.
Perhaps they will allow you to choose one of your art pieces :-) You could say to their cashier, "Charge it to the naked lady" :-D

Cassia Margolis said...

Wow....I had no idea that si who the "charity" part of the cared worked.....sigh. I do not have it on my Discover, but on another card. I will look into that.

Ooooooh, would love to stick naked lady on it! I could do a self-portrait, except people might gag......

However, in none of the card "thefts did they ever actually ave our card. The first time, they only had a charge card number, no other info, the second, they had my husband's first initial and last name and the card number. The next two times, it was just the charge card number with no name.
This time, the person had my hubby's full name, our address and the charge card number.

My American Express card does have avery tiny pic of me.......

Anyhow, if they will not allow me to use a naked pic...maybe I could change my name to "Naked Lady". Smile.

DaCanon said...

I think I would be asking Discover a few tough questions as to why this keeps happening and what measures they are taking to prevent insider ID theft, just so you could rule that possibility out.

The naked card would be awesome! Since you are the artist, I wonder if you would be able to claim a percentage of every charge from the naked card as a tax right-off since you are presenting your artwork to the public people (in this case, cashiers)- Hmmm?!? :-D

Cassia Margolis said...

I wonder if anyone would even notice........