Sunday, September 30, 2012

Story of the Day 9/ 24/ 2012 #1



My brother called.
The older one.
I am not sure the younger one has ever called me. From him I get occasional Facebook messages. Hey, at least he accepted my friend request!

So, my older brother called me.
He is the father of three children.
Despite the fact that he is older than I am, his children are younger than mine.
That is why he has more grey hair than I do.
Well, and the fact that I actually am younger than he is....oh, and the fact that I use Excellence by L'oreal.

He tells me that two of his kids are going to start taking violin lessons.
I ask him if it will be a Suzuki program or a modified Suzuki program.
He has no idea.
He also has no idea how to go about purchasing the right "starter" violins for his children.
He thinks that I, who have more years of experience , and more grey hairs ( if I ever stop dying them) might know.
I laugh.
He has forgotten one important thing.
My children
are deaf.
They didn't have violin lessons.

There is a moment of silence as he digests this information.
"Oh yeah."

Okay, I had a token hearing child.
Hey, it is good to experience different things every now and then.
And that child had music lessons.
Piano.
Saxophone.
Drums.
But no violin.
If I'd had a second child, well I did have a second child and a third, but a second child who could hear, we might have garnered the volin lesson experience. But we didn't.

Our grandfather could have helped.
He played the violin.
For the Cleveland Symphony Orcehstra.
And , sometimes, for the Grand Old Opry.
And on movie soundtracks.
But he has been dead for about 35 years.
So he isn't taking phone calls from my older brother or from me..
Or Facebook messages from my younger brother.

I suggested that my brother call one of our younger sisters.
The one that has three children.
Who can hear.
They all had music lessons.
Piano.
And Saxophone.
And I am pretty darn sure one of them even played the violin.

At any rate, she had three possibilities...I mean, opportunities, so he is more likely to get help from her.

No comments: