Friday, September 19, 2014

Story of the Day 9/ 11/ 2014




Today's story is actually continuation of yesterday's story, which is how much of life goes.

I was sitting in the dining room, drawing.
I know, most people do not draw in their dining rom.
I do because I have a studio, complete with a drawing/drafting table, and a special chair to sit in when I use the table.
This sounds wonderful, but it isn't.
Because the chair is broken.
Broken as in, if you sit in it, you end up on the floor.
So, instead of getting the chair fixed, or buying new one,
I draw in the dining room.

To get back to where I started this story, I was sitting in the dining room, drawing, and I heard a commotion.

From the squirrels.

The same squirrels I keep regularly fed with squirrel crackers.
They can get noisy, sometimes. They will fight one another- sometimes for a cracker, and sometimes just because .
And they will sometimes make some vocal or other noises because I have not fed them, recently, or enough.
But this was more noise, much more noise than I had heard them make, previously.

I got up and went to the patio door.
I looked , and looked.
No squirrell in sight.

I heard it , again.

My ability to locate where a sound is coming from is poor , that is because I have a good ear and a bad ear.
The good ear can hear most conversational speech, as long as you do not try to speak softly.
My bad ear can hear you, if you are really loud or if I happen to be wearing my hearing aid.
Because my two ears do not work together, locating sound is...hard.
But I did.
And I was surprised.
The squirrel making the racket was trapped.

In the catch and release trap I had set for the chipmunks.

I went and got a heavily coated pair of gardening gloves, the kind I wear to trim rose bushes,
and a heavy pair of shoes,
and a broken solar light.
Well, the light is broken, but the post that it sat on and that anchored it to the ground was intact.

And I went out on the patio and put my shoe on top of the trap,
and used the solar light post to gently prod Mr. Squirrel in the butt,
so he would move to the back of the trap; and then I used the same post to open the door.

I have never seen a squirrel move that fast- not even when fighting another squirrel.
The poor guy was out of the trap and across the yard and up a tree as fast as...a very fast squirrel can go.

In all the time I've had those traps and have been setting them, which is all of this summer,
I had never before caught a squirrel in one of them.
I've caught 8 chipmunks, most of which I relocated to a nearby park;
and one that went to a farther park, though, because I had to go the other direction, that day.
And I trapped a baby bunny, who, unlike this squirrel seemed rather happy in the trap .
So happy that after leaving the door open for half an hour, he was still in it.
I finally bribed him out with a fresh strawberry and a fresh cherry.

But, then again, I have never before used squirrel food to bait the trap.

Another proof, for my children, that's what I bought at the grocery store.





No comments: