Sunday, December 6, 2009

Story of the Day 12/6/2009

God attends my synagogue.
I know that because her voice is heard often, during services.
Correcting the rabbi, correcting the reader, correcting the service, correcting the other congregants.
She isn’t’ my god, but due to some secret ballot she has been appointed as God to someone or something or at least as his representative.
But last Shabbat, God overstepped her bounds.
A woman got up to say Kaddish- the mourner’s prayer.
God told her to sit down.
She said- she being the woman, not God, “It’s my mother’s yarzheit.” (anniversary of her death.)
God told her, again, to sit down.
The woman replied, “I know when my fucking mother’s yarzheit is!”
As a friend said, “Sometimes you just have to shut up.” Even if you are God.
She ( being God) didn’t’ take it well., though, so it was a good time to stay out of her way for the rest of services.

2 comments:

Lynne said...

WTF? She thought the woman had the wrong date, or shouldn't be saying kaddish because she's a woman, or what? I always avoid those gods. Or if I were pissed enough, I'd've yelled, "Sit down & shut up yourself."

Cassia Margolis said...

it wasn't an issue of women not saying Kaddish- i have no idea why- but she apparently believed the woman didnt' know the correct anniversary of her own mom's death.......and i sit right near her.