Monday, August 1, 2011

Story of the Day 7/29/2011

Apparently I am lacking in faith.

Since I am Jewish, I suppose this was to be expected.
I have, on more than one occasion, heard lectures on how the typical Jewish response when confronted with “ you just need to have faith” is not the materialistic phrase that anti –Semites use to define Jews as “ Show me the money!” But, rather, “ Show me the hard evidence! “

So, I was lacking in faith.
Yes, there was evidence, but, foolishly, I did not take what I had experienced as a one-time incompetence and generalize on it, so I was entirely unprepared for the message that greeted me when I arrived home from work, yesterday evening.
It was about 11 PM, and my daughter, Sarah, showed me a paper. On it was a telephone number.
For IUPUI.
For the Testing Center.

They had called, at about 6:55 PM, and told my husband that if my daughter wanted her test results, she or one of her parents needed to call the advisor’s office, and had she done her orientation, yet? Her orientation as an incoming Freshman at IUPUI.

As it happens, I had left a message for the Testing Center at about 2:30 PM, yesterday. I called and left my name and number and stated that I needed to set up a date and time for my daughter to take her IU high school final exam, and could they call me back to set that up. Oh, and that I would be leaving for work at 5:30 PM (which was false, I leave at 5:55 PM but I dislike last-minute-running-out-the-door-telephone.)

As for the test results, Sarah already received them, but not from IUPUI which doesn’t even have them, advisor’s office or not- since the exam was mailed to and graded at a different school, IU high school.

And, as far as I know, Sarah hasn’t been accepted as an incoming freshman at IUPUI. This is because she hasn’t applied. At the moment, she os preparing for 11th grade. Her junior year on high school.

At least, this time, when they tell me they left me a message, they will not be lying.

And Sarah has been given another opportunity to practice those fine new vocabulary words- SNAFU and FUBAR.
Although, it is (still at this moment) really only a SNAFU.

Whoops, there I go again, not showing faith.

No comments: