Friday, November 13, 2009

Story of the Day 11/ 13/ 2009

So I was looking at funeral flowers at Costco.
Oh yes, you did read those same words before, I started the 11/11/2009 Story with them. But this isnt’ the same Story, it is just the same flowers.
I mean, you do want to find out what happens with the flowers. Don’t’ you?
So, I was looking at funeral flowers at Costco.
I didn’t’ want to buy funeral flowers. I really wanted to buy some flowers in bulk.
The last time I bought flowers in bulk was many years ago…well, 9- for Esther’s Bat Mitzvah – and that was at Sam’s- whose display, back then at least, was large and varied.
Costco’s wasn’t. Large. Or varied.
There were some bouquets, starting at $8.99 for a modest one and going up. And one arrangement , like you would send to your mother for a holiday, and funeral flowers. A display advertising the many different ones you could order for your , or hopefully someone else’s special occasion.
But there was no flower lady.
At Sam’s, I remember there being a flower lady to help and answer questions.
Well, at Costco, they do have a person I charge of the flowers- who wasn’t there and they weren’t’ sure when I could speak with her. And most of the flowers were ordered on line- which also had a large choice if you wanted funeral flowers, as I found out about 2 hours later.
I gave my not very complete findings to Shawn. Shawn is my boss. At least for the moment, when it comes to flowers.
Recently, at synagogue I was asked if I would volunteer to work on a committee. At our synagogue, a committee means you do something. It is like president. At our synagogue being president means you change the light bulbs. SO, I figured they wanted me to either mow the grass or shovel the snow. I prefer the snow. It doesn’t’ bother my allergies.
But then, who is on the committee? I mean, I don’t’ want to shovel with just anyone.
I must have acted rather leery. But then I was told that it was Shawn who needed help, so I said okay. Shawn is not toxic. In other words, I would actually enjoy working with her.
And the meeting – yes , there actually was one- to decide who does what- involved her buying me a cup of hot chocolate.
So, after doing my previous assignment she gave me which was pricing multiple types of Lucite frames from a few different places, I set about at my next task, which was pricing flowers. For a dinner. For centerpieces. For honoring someone. Who is living- as in not dead.
So, I sent Shawn my somewhat questionable findings.
To which she replied:
Cassia, funeral flowers? Are they gorgeous? I like gorgeous.

I suppose we will have to choose a color.

No comments: