Sunday, November 15, 2009

Story of the Day 11/ 15/ 2009

Aaron called me today.
Six times.
In 40 minutes.

That’s right, he was lost.
It is nice to be needed. Or maybe that is the punch line, and I have my story out of order.

Aaron had spent Shabbat and Saturday night at Purdue with his friend, Adam. He was going to stop at home and visit for a bit, on his way back to Ball State. Of course, that is because he wanted to do a few loads of laundry, but who is quibbling over getting a chance to visit with their baby boy?
Anyhow, not only do we own a large capacity washer and drier, but we were right on his way back to Ball State.

Yes, I didn’t’ believe it either. You see, Purdue is to the northwest of Indianapolis, and Ball State is to the north east of Indianapolis- north being the dominant part of this description.
However, the gods of MapQuest have ordained that in order to get from one to the other, you have to drive many miles to the south to Indianapolis and drive around the north side of Indianapolis on 465- the part of 465 that has exit 31, which happens to be Meridian Street, and near where we live.

Now, who am I to argue with the gods of MapQuest when they have taken my little boy about 55 miles out of the way just to have him drive by our house?
Okay, I did have one moment of stupid when I thought I should offer to find him a more direct route- but, fortunately, it was a very brief moment of stupid- and it passed.

So, this afternoon, about the time we were expecting him to arrive, I got the first of many calls from my son.

“Mom, I’m lost.”
“Where are you?”
“I am in downtown Indianapolis.”
Now, 465 does not go through downtown Indianapolis. It really doesn’t, but my son has managed this, and it is now my responsibility to get him back out of downtown Indianapolis.
“What streets are you near.”
“Michigan and Pennsylvania”
“Pennsylvania is near College and Meridian, look for one of those. And turn north onto it”
“I see Meridian.”

Fine, he is headed home.

Except that a few minutes later I get a call, “I can see the circle.”
The circle is Monument Circle. It is several blocks south of where he started- and he is trying to come back up north. Okay, so he turned the wrong direction on Meridian, anyone can do that.
“ Can you turn right on a street before the circle?”
“No, I don’t’ think so.”
“Okay, well, when you get on the circle, get off at the first chance and turn onto Illinois.”
“I don’t’ take the circle around?”
“No.”
“Oh wait, I can turn on Ohio.” (Ohio is before the circle.)
“Fine, then after you turn , you will see Illinois- turn on it and it will take you home.”
“ I don’t’ see Illinois.”

How can he not see Illinois? Ohio is one way.

“Wait, now I see it!”
“Okay, turn on it.”
“This doesn’t’ look right.”
“ I don’t’ care if it looks right, turn on it!!!!” Alright, so I am not the calm in all situations parent I like to pretend to be. At least I haven’t used the F word , yet.

Quiet, until the next phone call.

“Mom, I think I am going the wrong way.”

My hair is turning gray- what does he mean the wrong way? Illinois is a one-way street!

“ I can see the Children’s Museum.”
“Good, that means you are going the right way- the streets are getting larger if you can see the Children’s Museum.”
“Yea, but you know how the dinosaur breaks out of the side of it? It is on my right side when I drive downtown, and it is on my right side , now, and I am trying to drive away from downtown.”
“Aaron, you are not on the same street- the building is on both streets.”
“ I think I need to turn around.”
“No, don’t’ ! Just trust me!!!”

Never tell a teenager that. Have I been drinking?

“Just stay on Illinois, it will take you to Kessler, then turn left.”
A few minutes later…..
“I think I am going the right way, so now I turn right on Kessler?”
“No, LEFT, turn LEFT on Kessler! After that, turn right on Springmill.”
“Mom, If I see Spring mill, I will know how to get home!”

He will? Thank God for miracles!

Speaking of miracles, I need to go out and start pricing GPS systems for Hanukkah.

2 comments:

Esther said...

can i have one too?!

Cassia Margolis said...

actually, i really want to just stick him in teh car and make him drive all over indy. excepty i wd puek while he is driving.
are u really very bad at directions? do they have amonthly fee? doesn't ur iphoen do that also????