Sunday, March 7, 2010

Story of the Day 3/7/2010

Friday night, Shabbat dinner, was especially nice. Aaron is home on Spring Break.
He keeps reminding us that he preferred to come home and not trek to Florida where he could be drunk and sunburnt. Oddly, we even believe him.

At dinner, Sarah was sharing some of the week’s trials and tribulations with the interpreters she has at high school.

On Thursday, at lunch, she asked one of the kids she sits with a question.
The girl responded, “I guess we use trays because if we didn’t’, then the food would fall onto the floor.”
Sarah was taken aback. She sat there trying to figure out why this was so off topic.
The interpreter said, “What?”
Sarah said, “That doesn’t’ make sense.”
Then the interpreter said, “What did you say?”

“I said, ‘Are you waiting for T…. (another student with whom they usually eat)?”

The interpreter put her hand on her head and groaned.
She said, “I asked her why people have trays.”

Sarah cringed. OMG, the kids at the table must think she is mentally retarded or that the kids at the Deaf School have never seen a cafeteria tray, or both.

When she told me this, after school on Thursday, I asked, “Did she correct what she had misinterpreted with the other student?”
“No.”

Sarah said that she told the interpreter, “Please tell her what the mistake was.” But the interpreter wouldn’t.
Leaving Sarah mortified about what the other students thought about her.

Aaron listened to this, aghast.
After hearing about it, Aaron said, “I should go and interpret for you. I could do a better job than they do!”

I thought about this, my deaf son interpreting for my Deaf daughter.
I decided he is right.

4 comments:

Lynne said...

Maybe she should just start writing notes.

Cassia Margolis said...

Sarah has done that , on several occassions. That is how she found ou t the correct names for soem fo the students.
I think teh school shd provide her witah small texter- that she can pass back and forth to communicate with the other students that way.

DC said...

I might add to my facebook comments that it would probably behoove Sarah's social life if there weren't an adult interpreter with her at lunch if she can tolerate it. The students who are really going to end up being friends will start with writing notes and then start learning some signs. They will also be more candid without the interpreter. Also, they will not wonder why Sarah has never seen a lunch tray before. Stupid interpreter.

Cassia Margolis said...

actually, we werent' planning on having teh terp with her for lunch forever.
there is abit of a long story behind this. I had suggested another possible way of doing this, but teh school thought thsi wd be best , for teh time being.
It saved them a bit of troubel with regard to showing her how to get through teh several diff lunch lines and also doing a comm eval .
anyhow, teh terp is not any better in teh classroom. theer are soem stories about that, also.