Sunday, July 14, 2013

Story of the Day 6/ 23/ 2013




I have been publishing these out of order.
I apologize.
June 23rd finds us back to Aaron and the saga of his EMT practical exam, up in Hobart, IN.




My son drove off to Hobart on Saturday evening.
He couldn't leave until after our Sabbath was over, and after he had come back from services and until after he had peed, thrown his bags into the car and received severe last minute frantic directions from his mother.
One of which was to let me know as soon as he got to the Hotel in Hobart.
I mean in Merrillville, since, I did not, after all, reserve a room for him at the Hobart Budget Inn.

It was about 11 PM when he finally pulled out of our driveway and took off.
I called and let the hotel know that he would be arriving there in a couple of hours. I had already given that instruction when I reserved the room, but there was that nagging worry that they would give his room to someone else and he would nd up sleeping in the car.
In his case, that could be dangerous, not because the cops might stop and make sure he wasn't sleeping in his car, but because there was no outlet for the alarm clock he had with him- the one that vibrates his bed hard enough to make it practically dance on the hardwood floor in his bedroom. The only alarm clock pretty much guaranteed to get his butt up in the morning and to the test.
As for the hardwood floor in his room, someday, in the far flung future when we sell this house, I can only imagine what bedroom activities or the level of bedroom activities future home shoppers will imagine us partaking of when they see that floor- gouged in a million places from the bed jumping up and down.....

You might be wondering why we have a vibrating alarm clock to send off with him to Hobart, and yet, we do not have a portable flashing fire alarm.
Especially since this made getting a hotel room for him such a complicated affair.
We did have one.
A flashing fire alarm that was portable.
I ordered it from a company for Aaron to take to Israel.
It costs about $250. I also ordered the $13 adaptor for the different current.

I did this because not only did the dorm in the yeshivah in Israel NOT having flashing some detector, it had NO smoke detectors.
So, in case of a fire, that smoke detector would not just be saving my son, but all of those other little boys in the dorm. Hey their mothers think of them as little boys, so....

My son, obediently plugged it and his alarm clock in shortly after unpacking his socks and underwear.
And the lights went out.
In the entire dorm.
Oh, and at the same moment the lights went off, there was a bit of a noise. A kind of a bang, as best as my son, who is deaf, described it.
Well, the circuit breaker was taken care of , or the fuse that had been blown, and the lights went back on.
However, the smoke detector was dead to the world.
As was his slarm clock.

The alarm clock had only cost about $40 , and we have since replaced it, but the smoke detector............

No comments: