Friday, July 5, 2013

Story of the Day 6/26/2013- Saga of teh camera- Addendum


The saga of the camera may or may not be over, but my telling of it was not complete.
I left off some things that happened, but I will now add them and explain how they influenced me.

Before the camera was lost and found, - I mean before they lost it a second time , but not after they had misplaced it, lied to me and then sent it off to be repaired, and lied to me about that, I dealt with a supervisor at the 800 number.
She was very apologetic, especially after she realized the local store had not been honest with me.
She offered me a gift card to help assuage my negative feelings to the company.
I accepted and even thought that this would provide a positive spin to the story.
Or stories, I was probably already up to two on this topic.
Best Buy was being hard on my nerves , but good on my writing output.

Unfortunately, it was after that when I started being given different dates that it would be back at the store, and being told that I would be called, and wasn't, and then the camera was once again "missing" and then.....
So, by the time I did, finally , get the camera back, any warm feelings I had from getting the gift card , had faded. Faded into the head-butting feeling of "what more are you going to d to me?"

It was also before I started being irritated by the wrong information up on the geeksquad website.
Which kept insisting that I had dropped the camera off to be repaired 2 weeks after I had.
In fact, I was so irritated, after seeing that time and again, as I kept waiting for the camera to be repaired and come back to the local store for pick up, that I sent the internet site a message.

On June 9, I wrote:

Comments: I find this insulting. I called and got a service/repair number. then, on May 9th, i dropped it off to be repaired. on may 23, i called to see if it was back and repaired , yet. i was told it wasn't. Why wasn't it? because u forgot about t it. so, you gave it a new repair number and then pretended i dropped it off on may 23rd and that is what this site says. this hides the fact you've had the camera for over a month. i dislike this insult added to injury.



Amazingly, I received a reply, the next morning:

Good Morning Cassia,
Thank you for contacting Geek Squad. I do apologize in regards to the delayed response as we do understand time is valuable. I have reviewed your service order and do show that the unit has been shipped off to the service center.
I would also like to apologize for the delay in the repair. If you would like I can contact the local store on your behalf in which to inquire on other options at this point?
Thanks
C....




I have removed his name, just in case someone from his company thinks that he should not have been so pleasant.


And I promptly responded:

I do not think there would be any benefit in you contacting the local store.
According to your site ( I just checked) , it is still not there.
Further, when I spoke with them on the phone, they lied. I know this because it was between two phone calls to the 800 number. When I reported what i was told to the supervisor at the 9800 number, she verified that. So, I have zero confidence in my local store, at this point.
If, in the future, I need to deal with Best Buy, I will drive half an hour in the other direction and go to a different store.
Sincerely,
cassia


Now, you would think this would be the end of it, but it wasn't.
I received the following reply on June 11:

Cassia,
I do apologize for the mis information that was said to be provided. However I can contact the store to request a replacement or inquire on a replacement.
Thanks
C...




This was a nice offer, but too late. I had just finished picking up the camera at the local Best Buy, before getting this.

That is , picking up the camera after calling the 800 number and having someone search the dock and realize it had been sitting out there and not checked in because they couldn't figure out how to check it in...




I emailed C.. and let him know that, after more than month, we actually did just get the camera back.

I will also add the small detail. Even after i got home with the camera, the website did not show that it had yet arrived at the local store.


Now, I figured everything was done and over with, but it wasn't.
I received this email from C...


Cassia,
I do apologize for this entire inconvenience. I would like to offer on behalf of best buy a 50 dollar gift card due to the inconvenience. If you would like to accept this offer please provide me the shipping address.
Thanks
C....




Well, if you know me well, you can guess what my response was to this:



I sent C.. this reply:


Hi C....,
You are being kind, but no thank you. It is not the fault of your department. The 800 number, after they realized what happened ( sequence of events) on the 23rd, also offered me a gift card, and I do not want to abuse the situation and also take a card from your department. I did tell them that what I really wanted was that someone would look over how things are done and fix the places where the problems occurred.
I have also decided NOT to use that Best Buy location, again. A slightly longer drive in the other location might be a good idea.

My issue with the website is that I did not take it for repair on the 23rd. I brought it in on the 9th ( after eating the repair number on the 8th).
I am sure that sounds like silly detail, but , thin of this- when we went to get it, I did not have paperwork with the "new" repair number on it ( that hey gave it on the 23rd) , just the number from the 9th........Of course, they also accepted my daughter's ID ( it is her camera, my husband got it for her.) It also made it necessary for me, each time i called, to explain that the camera was taking a long time, since i hadn't dropped it off on the 23rd......
Thanks, cassia




I thought that would be it, but I received one more email from C....:



Cassia,
I completely understand and once again do sincerely apologize. I have sent this to our corporate office in which to review and address. I have also sent this to the store leadership to address and correct. Anytime that you have any questions or concerns please let me know and I will work toward a resolution for you
Thanks
C




Now, in the meanwhile, we do have the camera back.

I have a gift card that does not come close to making up for what happened, but which will get us an extra memory card ; but , at least, I did also end up in contact with someone who seemed to both take it seriously and try to do something besides get me to go away. Something like address the actual problem.



So, things were better, and I felt that at least someone at the website was responsive.


That was on June 26th.


But I do not always promptly post my stories.

Sometimes because I am awaiting approval, or because I need to fix the 735 typos per paragraph and sometimes because I sharea computer with two teenagers, well, a teenager adn a 22 year old and I cannot get a turn to use it for a few days.
And sometimes....

because some higher power knows the story isn't really over yet.

So:


July 1st- Addendum to the Addendum:


The kids used the camera, tonight, for the first time since getting it back.

Well, the second. My son did some audio recording with it, but no video.

They are starting to shoot a new video- and .....something isn't working quite right.

And the warranty runs out at midnight, tonight.

Of course.

3 comments:

DaCanon said...

civil court, perhaps?? Warehouses are not envirnmentally friendly to sensitive electronics... could some sort of damage occured to the camera as it was waiting to be checked in for two weeks?

DaCanon said...

PS: ignore the typoes - i am on my laptop... I hate typing on this thing!

Cassia Margolis said...

smile. a laptop or one o f those tablet things? i can't do the pressure sensitive keyboards at all.
I just posted the last part. I think. Of course, I may actually send a letter to Best Buy's CEO, though...I need to think about it. I am also having the " it si over, at least we have teh camera a back" feeling.
I also do feel a little kinder after the more consumer friendly internet contact, but not truly friendly after what happened.....sigh.
I do get a lot of stress relief from blogging, as i am sure u have guessed.....
like i said, i am thinking about it.