Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Story of the Day 12/ 2/ 2008

I was supposed to be out drawing naked people.
That is what I do on Tuesday evenings.
I did all the right things in the right order.
I helped Sarah with her homework.
I got out some frozen food that could, in combination, sort of pass for dinner.
I set the table.
I ate the leftovers that no one else was going to eat, for my dinner, and drank a very thick, and therefore very caffeinated, cup of coffee.
I loaded extra paper into my case, and kissed Sarah good-bye.
I made sure my car radio was on-and tuned to JEL 89.3 on the dial…which isn’t a dial.

Then, driving out of the garage, I realized that my light was on.

Not the lights. Oh, they were on. Since it gets dark early, that isn’t’ an option…well, unless you want to hit something or be hit by someone.
But the light on the dashboard telling me that one of my tires was low on air.
And I was about to drive downtown at night, on the route where the most car-jackings in the city take place. Into an area where I wouldn’t’ want to loiter, late at night, in the dark…and with a tire that might not get me there and home……

I did the smart thing, and re-parked my car in the garage. And turned off the lights, and went back into the house.
So, no naked people, tonight. But, I figured I could still listen to JEL , and Aaron’s take on the news…..who knows what other interesting places they might choose to put solar panels, or what other people might be nabbed for perpetrating unmentionable acts in odd places……..

I “liberated” Larry’s radio……and set it up on the kitchen counter. And tuned it to 89.3.…and waited.
And the time that Aaron should have spoken came and went…with no Aaron.
Then a few minutes later, the phone rings.
It is Aaron…no more news for tonight, they are closing the station early.
Why?
He doesn’t’ know, but the student DJ has decided this.
So, Aaron will be coming home, and I will have to wait a while for the next bit of interesting news.
In case you want to know, “closing” the station simply means not having live crew running it. Apparently, there is a pre-recorded track that then plays until the next “live bodies” come in, tomorrow morning.

Just after this, I check the computer.
Kara has emailed me, “I am listening, where is Aaron?”
Sorry Kara! Maybe we can get him to do a private news reading, just for the two of us, and we can learn about some other things that don’t quite make it into the our local newspaper…...

2 comments:

Lynne said...

You couldn't go to a gas station & fill up the tire????? Even I know how to do that! And I ain't got no fancy-shmancy light to tell me when to do it.

Cassia Margolis said...

it is more complicated than that- - the gas statiosn on the way are all in areas that if u stop, guys approach u asking fort money to buy drugs and alchohol...and the air thing is in teh most unlit spot. (it was already dark). I cd have goen about 15 mins the wrong direction to a diff place- which wd have made me a minimum of 40 mins late (15 plus 15 plus the time to fill it.) - and it wd have been a hunt game, too, since I am not sure which station in that direction has air.
I do knopw a station on Michigan- but also ina dark corner ina spot i wd not go alone at night.
Anyhow, the tires didnt' need air- there si a malfunction of the control thingie panel....and I need to take it to teh dealer....