Thursday, February 26, 2009

Story of the Day 2/ 25/ 2009

Dinner time is always….interesting.
I made fish sticks.
That was supposed to be last night’s dinner.
I had pulled out the side dish stuff, and then I grabbed Sarah and dragged her into the kitchen (okay, not literally, she is quite a bit bigger than me, and I couldn’t move her if I wanted to,) and said, “These go into the oven at 6:40, so they wont’ be cold and yucky when Daddy comes home for dinner.”
And Sarah said, “I don’t’ like those. I am not making them.”

Which is why they ate spaghetti, last night.

So, I made them, tonight. Which went more smoothly, since I am home to do the cooking- if you can call heating frozen food cooking.
And, I realized that Aaron wasn’t eating any.
“What’s wrong?”
“I don’t’ like fish sticks.”
“I’m sorry!”
(This is the worst thing a Jewish mother can hear, so sorry is an understatement.)
“I keep telling you I don’t’ like fish sticks. I have never liked fish sticks.”
Okay, so I can’t keep my children straight. It must be Esther who likes fish sticks.
Larry, on my other side says, rather defensively, “I like fish sticks!”
Of course, he is eating them, but he eats everything I cook, and since these are frozen food, they are probably better than a lot of the other things that I cook, so he probably does like them better……
“I thought you didn’t like macaroni and cheese?” I ask Aaron.
“I don’t.”

“Okay, so you don’t’ like macaroni and cheese? What about pizza.”
“I like pizza, it is Esther who doesn’t like pizza.”
Of course, and she works at a pizza parlor.
How could I not have guessed.


This must be why we have spaghetti 3 nights a week. Wait, I hope they all like spaghetti…..

Then Aaron , probably feeling he has to share something other than his distaste for the fish sticks says, ”I got to my English class, and I sat down at my desk. My desk is right near the teacher’s desk. And I got out of my seat, and I said “I don’t’ like it when my seat is warm from the person sitting in it before me.”

6 comments:

Lynne said...

Eewww, I hate warm seats also!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

yes, i don't like steamed spinach, mac and cheese from the box unless its kraft or annie's and i really don't like pizza. i do like fish sticks though :)

DC said...

I suggest a flow chart with teenagers' pics at the top and a graphic display of food dislikes and likes at the bottom. My mother, of course, not being Jewish would just tell me to starve. Having had the opportunity to spend a few afternoons to you I realize that not feeding someone is very hard for you. ;)

Cassia Margolis said...

I use dto have a "rules" sheet posted. "If u dont' like dinner, u can make for urself..." and teher was alist of foods they cd make for themselves ( yogurt,bagel and cream cheese, cereal) that involved no mess for me to deal with. I didnrt' let them starve, but I refused to cook a second meal. But i do try to remember what peoepl like, except that i forget which kid is which....sigh.

Cassia Margolis said...

anyhow, I meant to add that aflow chart witah naked baby pic of each wd be perfect........