Sunday, February 20, 2011

Story of the Day 2/ 17/ 2011

I have a friend who is also blessed with two Deaf children. Her daughter is the same age as Sarah and in 10th grade at a different high school.
One day, her daughter had an interpreter for a drama program and the interpreter, in the process of relaying information, kept signing “vagina” instead of “triangle.”

I greatly enjoyed it when she shared this story with me, because it made me feel like my daughter is not the only one who gets these highly skilled interpreters.

Well, today, Sarah comes home from school. She tells me that the substitute interpreter that she had, today, kept signing “vagina” instead of triangle. This was in math class, and since they are learning how to calculate the total surface area and volume of triangular prisms, the word was in constant use.

I have emailed my friend. I had to. I had to ask her if it was the same interpreter. I sent her the name.
You see, I would like to think that there is only one such highly skilled interpreter in the State of Indiana, but I am afraid that may not be the case.

Incidentally, the highly skilled part is the scary part.
The interpreter that Sarah had today is nationally certified. Of course, as my friend Cindie would say, “And whom did she have to sleep with to get it?”

At least she had the vocabulary for it.

No comments: