Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Story of the Day 10/30 2011

( This is the first of the "Aaron arrives in Israel" stories. They are being posted out of order which means they resemble a lot of my life.... Aaron left Indianapolis on11/29 and arrived in Israel in the late afternoon of 11/30)

Aaron called me at 1:35 PM.
From Israel.

It was a lousy connection. I know that because I had trouble hearing him.
He also had trouble hearing me, but that doesn't prove anything, since he is deaf.

I asked him if he had gotten a cell phone, because his calling me took me by surprise.
He said "No".
He was using the office phone in the yeshiva.
At first, I thought, "How nice, they let him use it to let me know he has arrived safely."

Then I thought, " Nah, they force each of the kids to call home when they get there, because each of those kids has a real-live-bona-fide Jewish mother, and if the kids don't call us, we will start calling the yeshivah every 15 minutes until we are assured the "baby" is safe, sound and being fed."

I was even more certain of it when he told me he was now off to dinner.
I am sure the yeshivah has them call right before a meal so the kid mentions he will be eating, so that we aren't also worrying about that.

Can you imagine if they have 600 Jewish students - which equals 600 Jewish mothers- which equals at least 1,200 hysterical phone calls over just the first 3 days of school.......
And , no, I have no idea how many students they have, I just pulled that out of a hat.


Actually, my son said something like, " I have to go now to go eat dinner and try to make some friends."

No comments: