Friday, November 18, 2011

Story of the Day 11/7/2011

My son has mice.
Or, at least , a mouse.
He discovered a mouse in his dorm room at the yeshivah, and , he assured me that while he was scared, he managed to not " scream like a girl."

Since I am a girl and the person in our family who is responsible for trapping and disposing of spiders, mice and other fun things, since none of the mass seem to be up to it, I gave him an look that would have caused most poisonous flora to wither. Of course, since the look was being sent over the telephone, he missed the point of it.

His roommate, the other Aaron from Indiana, who happens to have averted interest in this mouse, since the room it likes is also his bedroom, took my Aaron to the supermarket.
They searched and they searched but were unable to find a mouse trap.

Aaron then went to the man in charge of the dorm and explained the unwanted guest issue.
The rabbi told him that he would get him a mouse trap that would trap the mouse alive and not kill it.

Ever since my son told me about this I have been trying to envision this trap and exactly what the rabbi meant.
Perhaps this is a kinder and gentler yeshivah and they do not want to kill or maim small creatures and they catch their mice and then take them outside and release them.
I am having hard time believing that this is possible, because this kinder and gentler yeshivah happens to serve meat every single night for dinner.

So, I thought what else would they do with this live rodent.....they could release it right outside the back door of their closest rival yeshivah......but that doesn't' seem very " kosher".
They could use the captured rodents for the science experiments and see if they run the mazes faster for Chinese food or for pizza.
If they are Jewish mice it will be Chinese food. Unless the pizza has chocolate on it.
But since they have neither science nor psychology classes, that seems unlikely.

Fortunately, I am not at all concerned that they are planning to cook them up for diner, no matter how expensive meat is in Israel, because rodents are not kosher.

I can see that this might became an interesting topic of conversation about the cultural differences in how mice are treated by Americans and Israelis.

Of course, the there possibility that the rabbi did not explain himself very well and the trap is one of those sticky things, where the mouse is trapped , but still alive, and then the lucky winner of the "I have trapped a mouse " prize gets to either bash its little head in with a brick, or toss the live trapped mouse into the trash can, where it will either starve or suffocate....or if the trash is compacted......

Meanwhile, a very small box can be sent to Israel for only $13.95. I wonder how many mouse traps I can fit into one of them?

No comments: