Sunday, January 22, 2012

Story of the Day 1/ 19/ 2012

My son has decided to give up his day job. Well, not really, because it is his night job, or his evening job or whatever.

Aaron used to have a regular gig doing stand-up comedy.
He was even funny.

He would tell a variety of jokes .

In the beginning, they were mostly about his experiences with the special education system, or with being deaf.
Later, he included a variety of jokes based on his job hunting experiences.

Then there was the long stream of more recent dirty jokes.
I wince somewhat , as I write this. I am, after all, his mother.

This is my cute baby boy we are discussing, the one who used to run around in his Batman pajamas.
Well, he still does run around in his Batman pajamas, except that , at 6' 2", he saunters.

When religion hit, I mean when he became more religious, he decided it was not a good thing for him to be telling dirty jokes.
Apparently, it was still okay for him to go to these bars , but the jokes were cleaned up.
I thought this was wonderful, after all, this is my baby boy we are discussing. I would like to pretend his sense of humor is still PG...or maybe PG-13, with a stricter parent than I am providing the rating standards.

Unfortunately, instead of going back to his deaf and jobless jokes, he decided that he was going to start telling puns.
Even I thought the dirty jokes were better.

Then, when he went off to yeshivah, in Israel, where his opportunities to do standup were...well, rather limited since he doesn't' speak Hebrew, he gave it up completely.

He has even convinced himself that he is no longer funny.
Actually, I think that happened when he started doing the puns, and , to be honest, that was NOT funny.

But I still can close my eyes and picture him doing standup.
Okay, I can't close my eyes and do that because I have to keep my eyes open to read the letters he sends me.

I recently received one , and the back page described his interactions at a party he was planning on attending:


" This Thursday , I am planning on going to B'Nei Brak for a Deaf Hanukkah Party! WOWZERS!
Don't worry, I'll probably just stand in a corner silently devouring as many jelly filed doughnuts I can lay my hands on.

If confronted by any socialsim ( talking, not politics) I'll smile and nod my head pretending I understand.

Considering how hard it is for me to understand Deaf people in American Sign Language, I don't' stand a chance in ISL (Isreali Sign Language).
Of course, I can say the Hebrew alphabet, but that isn't' very helpful if you don't' actually know any Hebrew words.
Don't worry! I had the ultimate response in ISL, "Baruch HaShem!" ( Praise God!)

A Deaf person can ask any question or make any comment and that's the response I can sign.

Example

Deaf Man: "How are you?"
Me: " Baruch HaShem!"

Deaf Man: "Are you enjoying the party?"
Me:"Baruch HaShem!"

Deaf Man: "So, where are you from?"
Me: "Baruch HaShem!"

Deaf Man: " Do you want to buy some drugs?"
Me: "Baruch HaShem!"

Deaf Man: "Oh, there's my wife. See you later!"
Me: "Baruch Hashem!"


Okay, I inserted the line about drugs.

5 comments:

DaCanon said...

"...see you later." (Or in other words: "I gotta go."
"Praise God!"

Priceless!

Lynne said...

His very inappropriate bad-role-model aunt LOVED his dirty jokes!

Cassia Margolis said...

His mother loved his video "The Phallus Predicament", but the masturbation jokes....and the....well, and he always practiced them OVER and OVER and OVER for me before performing....See, if u lived closer, u cd have been the trial run audience!

Lynne said...

I loved the Playboy magazine bit.

Cassia Margolis said...

oooh, that was a good one!
he'll probably never tell it again, unless he outgrows this phase.....