Friday, January 20, 2012

Story of the Day 1/ 9 / 2012

My son was enjoying another wonderful Shabbat meal.
He had been invited to eat with a family.
During the meal, the wife asked him, "Are you married?"
My son replied, " No, I am not."
"Well, would you be interested in a deaf girl?"
Fortunately, Aaron doest' have a bad image of deaf people. This is good for a couple of reasons, one of which is that he happens to be deaf. So he replied, " that would fine."

The woman spent a moment or two thinking about whom she could introduce to my son. Apparently, she wasn't very thrilled with the young ladies that came to her mind.
She added," But the deaf girls are all modern ." This being lower down on the acceptability scale than just regular orthodox. At least in her mind.
" What about a girl with a different problem?"

I can see it now, it will be great marriage. They can fix Aaron up with a nice orthodox ( G-d forbid modern !) young lady who is blind. She can speak, and he can sign. No communication would be just great, obviously: they wouldn't' understand if the other one was screaming at them.

Or maybe........

I told my husband about this over dinner.
"What problem?"
Okay, he didn't' say that, he actually said, "Well, what did Aaron tell her?"

Wow, I hadn't thought to ask that.

I emailed Aaron, "What did you say to her?"

I woud like to think that he was polite. I have spent a couple of decades trying to beat some politeness into each of my children, with some limited success. But, as the mother of two deaf children who have problems, especially Aaron, but not one of those problems happens to be the fact that they are deaf, I was kind of hoping he'd given her a very....."amusing" answer.

Aaron's response was:

hmmm...i don't think i really said anything.

it was more like a nod of the head and i kept eating food.


Now, the story is, already , strange enough, but my son just informed me in another email that the woman's husband- the man at whose house he was eating ...that man is deaf.

Since the wife isn't, I am wondering what her " problem" is.
Please let me know , if you figure this out.
I will not be holding my breath.

No comments: