Friday, January 27, 2012

Story of the Day 1/ 21/ 2012

Yesterday, we received an invitation in the mail.

Since we are not especially popular or sociable people, this is an unusual occurrence.
Allright, let me rephrase that, I am not popular, and neither of us is sociable.

To be honest, my husband's favorite past time is to sit in the dining room and chuckle to himself.
He spends a lot of time sitting in the dining room. That is where he does his reading.
He has found that the chairs are neither hideously uncomfortable enough to preclude sitting on them for long periods of time, nor are they comfortable enough to fall asleep when he is doing his medical reading.

The chuckling, however, is not the result of either his medical reading nor his Torah studies, it is a product of his writing.
You see, my husband, like me , has a blog. The big difference is that his is a "real" blog and he is paid for it.
His is, also, indubitable more socially acceptable. And you d not even need to know him to have guessed that.
My husband writes columns for medical magazines. Some are for the actual magazines and some are for the blogs they have.

This next detail is something that you will not be able to guess unless you have already seen one of his columns.

You see, despite the fact that my husband is a brilliant and wonderful medical practitioner, his columns are not about the science of medicine, or about creating a better practice management setup. They are also not about the troublesome side effects his patients have as a result of the medications he prescribes.
This is good because if the columns were about those things, it would be a mite unsettling to hear him chuckling over them.
They are medical satire.

So my husband is a paid, professional blogger.
Another difference between us is that he writes many of his drafts out in long-hand, while I continue to mis-type my drafts. So his favorite thing to do is to sit in the dining room and chuckle to himself as he writes; and my favorite thing is to sit on the incredibly much more comfortable sofa in the family room and read.

At any rate, the idea of leaving our house to behave in a sociable manner is.....painful.
But we do.
On rare occasion.
For people we really like.

And this invitation was from someone we really like , or , more correctly, for someone we really like.
It is for the 80th birthday celebration of a dear friend I have known since I was a small child.

My husband read the card and remarked to me, " Wow, she has the same birthday that you do!"

A small detail that makes her one of the few people whose birthdays I recall with exactly zero struggle.

I responded," Yes, amazingly, that has been true for as many years as I have known her."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are not particularly sociable either. One big difference with us is that Jay prefers his chair in the living room, since he can conduct some business from there (a phone on the end table), read comfortably, and, when the mood strikes, fall asleep to fill the time until bed time. I sit in my chair, hyper-achieving with a variety of activities, ie. reading, tv, knitting, crocheting, computing, in a rather frenetic contest to see who gets finished first. (All projects have relative importance).
Hope the party is great! I know that Larry's columns are wonderful, as I read them as often as you send them to me. I also share them with others, who really admire hih sense of humor!