Friday, September 12, 2008

Story of the Day 9/12/2008

My husband has gone off to rescue me.

This is a little it of a change, for us. Normally, he comes to rescue me.

That is what he did, last night.

At 5:15 PM, when Sarah and I were heading downtown to the Fever game, it was drizzling. Lightly. I had the wipers on intermittent, and the lights on.
About 2/3rds of the way there, the rain stopped and I turned off the wipers.
I parked at our favorite $3 lot.
We also have a favorite $2 lot, but, since we would be getting out after dark, I opted for the one that costs a dollar more and feels slightly more secure.

Sarah feels up to tackling muggers, but I don’t.

After the game and the post-game program- where Sarah got to touch Tamika Catchings’ Olympic gold medal…. And, of course, I goofed up and didn’t’ get a picture of that- we went out to the car.

It wouldn’t’ start.

I had forgotten to turn off the lights.
We let it sit. It seemed like it might almost start, the next time I tried it, but it didn’t.

I called Larry.
We went to stand inside the Fieldhouse, as a safety thing- but it was locked up.
We went back to the car and waited in it.

Larry came and jump –started the car.
In his pajamas.
In case you weren’t sure, that is sign of true love.
You see, unlike our children, people of our age don’t’ go to school, work or the mal in our pajama pants.
But kind hearted husbands do drag themselves out of bed and downtown to rescue their wives.

But , despite this, the car wouldn’t’ start.

This poor car has had it’s lights left on several times in the past year and a half- and it finally just said, ”No” to being jump-started.
Nancy Regan might have been proud of it, but I was just stressed.

I left a note on eth windshield- explaining that it wouldn’t’ start, we would be back, tomorrow or have it towed, and that I would pay for the extra day of parking- and with my phone number.

Today, a kind neighbor volunteered her husband to change the battery.
So, I ran out to Wal-Mart, after dropping Vandra at the Art Center, and got one to install, and then, when I was done at the Art Center, came home to make Challah and to wait for when eh was free.


In the interim, my husband came home.
And insisted he would go with our friend-
to save me the hassle.

How many wives can say their husband rescued them twice in less than 24 hours?
And not even in Texas during a hurricane???

No comments: