Sunday, September 7, 2008

Story of the Day 9/7/2008

I was tucking Sarah into bed.

About 20 minutes before bedtime, she came to me and asked me if I had any sweatshirts. The kind that you pull over your head and have pockets.
She thinks I don’t’ know what a sweatshirt is……
I did tell her that they were actually invented BEFORE I was born.
I am not sure if she believed me or not,.

I told her I have one, It is green and zips up the front.

She gave me a look of utter disgust.

Yes, I am not very fashionable.
Also, I have no idea whose sweatshirt it was before it became mine.
It was someone’s .
They abandoned it,.
I saw it hanging in the closet and no one admitted to ever having had owned it.
So it became mine.
Okay, so I earned the look of disgust.
But it was free.

Then, a few minutes before bedtime, I see her handing Aaron’s nicest , newest , oddest ( he thinks it is fashionable) sweatshirt back to him.
She was going to borrow it?

And then she is trying on a brown one, that also belongs to him.
I think.
At any rate, it hasn’t been abandoned and disowned , yet, so it definitely isn'’ mine.

So, let’s get back to bed time.
It is bedtime, and I go in to tuck Sarah into bed
Yes, I do this every night.

When Esther is home, I do it to her.

I rarely do it to Aaron.
Of course he usually prefaces going to bed with, “Mom, whatever you do, don’t go in my room. I don’t’ want you to fall and hurt yourself.”
This is either a comment on the state of his floor, or the hidden reason behind why his floor looks that way…..


So, I was tucking Sarah into bed. And she has the brown sweatshirt lying on the end corner of her mattress.
And I said to her, “You know, most people hang up the clothes they have picked out, for the next day. You know, hang them up, or maybe lay them on a chair, or even on the door knob.
“They don’t’ sleep with them.”Sarah smiled at me.
She would rather sleep with it.

No comments: