Monday, September 15, 2008

Story of the Day 9/15/2008


I am the recipient of precious notes.
I receive them often.
Sometimes, in expected places and about anticipated things, and sometimes unexpectedly.
I save them, too.
Okay, not all of them.
If I did, there would be no place in our house to sit. But I do save plenty.

They document the history of our family.
The need to be woken up in a certain way. “Don’t’ shake my shoulder. It is sore”
Or to buy important things. “I need index cards. Lots. Maybe 300.”
But the main reason that I treasure them is that they usually come with messages of love. “I love you mommy, forever” is a recurrent one.
How could I throw something like that away?

Also, sometimes the ones from Ms. Esther make me laugh for days.

The one that was left for me, last night had no such endearments attached to it.
On the other hand, it wasn’t specifically for me.
It was a note from Sarah to Sarah, but I was also supposed to be aware of it.

It had to do with breakfast.

It says:
Eat Foods Breakfast for ISTEP
1.Eggs
2.One waffle
3. cutted strawberries mix with blueberries
4. Milk with coffee and nestle chocolate syrup.

Need get well sleep and foods for
ISTEP.

You might see a recurrent theme.
ISTEP.
ISTEP is the statewide assessment testing that began, today, at Sarah’s school.

The administration has stressed to the students at Sarah’s school the importance of a good night’s sleep and a good breakfast.
And Sarah has, in typical Sarah fashion, taken the advice very much to heart.

She know that she needs protein to keep her blood sugar stable, so se doesn’t’ fatigue- so the eggs are good. The waffle provides carbs, and the fruits she requested are god for your memory. She read an article about it in the newspaper.
Oh, yes, and I think a magazine article about the benefits of some caffeine when performing thinking tasks. But, since she isn't much of a coffee, drinker, she has a spoon of instant in her glass of slightly chocolate milk.
And, of course, in this household, milk is must- calcium.

But this is perhaps too much of a good thing.

We were sitting in the living room awaiting the arrival of Sarah’s bus, and Sarah said, “I don’t’ feel too good. I think I ate too much.”A few minutes later, she adds, “I hope I don’t’ throw up on the bus.”
Which means, I expect a new note on the breakfast table, tonight.

No comments: