Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Story of the Day 1/10/2011

My brother in California has a daughter
Actually, he has two of them, but this story is about the older one- Deborah.
Deborah is getting close to Bat Mitzvah age, and he and his wife are discussing what to do and where to have the Bat Mitzvah.
They live in California. I already said that , but I need to repeat it because living in California means that having the Bat Mitzvah in a synagogue will cost what using a California synagogue costs – for the ceremony, for the meal, for the party.
Unless that have it somewhere else.
They could have it in eth synagogue, and then have the party somewhere else. But they would still be paying California process.
And they have just moved, so they are also not sure about the synagogues in their new neighborhood……and the time is approaching when they will need to decide.
And then I saw the article in the newspaper.
About how a popular new venue for weddings is popular because it is lovely and serene and inexpensive.
People have used the Children’s Museum and the Zoo and even the Art Center, but they are all quite a bit more expensive than this, and it really is a much more formal setting.
So I called up my brother and told him about it.
Wait, no I didn’t’, he called me up and I brought it to him.
Sorry for that goof.
There were a couple of problems with eth idea, though.
I mean, it will look a bit odd on the invitations.
And it might feel a bit odd sitting down to eat knowing there are probably some dead bodies being prepped for burial on the lower level.
But apparently, funeral homes are the new venue of choice for people on a budget.
I suppose he couldn’t’ invite anyone whose last name is Cohen*,Cowen, or Kohn , since they couldn’t’ attend, but it would also help to keep down the size of the guest list.

* Jews who are cohanim are not allowed to be under the same roof as a dead body.

No comments: