Saturday, January 22, 2011

Story of the Day 1/20/2011

At 1:22 PM I received a text message from Lynne that Aaron and Ely arrived safely in Binghamton.
I know I wrote that they were headed to Rochester.
That is true, but they have gone to Binghamton, first, on purpose. Not as part of getting lost.
Binghamton is where Ely lives.
In a closet.
A walk in closet.

This is the “free room “ that a friend offered to Ely and which prompted her to stay in Binghamton and not move home until the farm job starts in April.
Hey, free is free and the friend has even located a bed for her that will fit in the closet. Not just a mattress but a bed. There were two choices- a racecar and a pink princess thing.
Not sure, but I would bet that Ely voted for the racecar.

Of course, we are talking about a toddler bed.

Ely was having this conversation at the dining room table while we were eating or after we had finished eating or maybe while we were staring with a bit of sadness at the now empty chocolate boxes after we had decimated the contents.
Since she is my only child who is not close to or past the 6 foot mark, and if she sleeps in a semi-fetal position, this just might work out.


So, I texted Lynne back and asked “ They are both going to stay in the closet?”
This is really weird, because my kids are NOT the kinds of kids that stay in closets of any sort.

I was relieved when Lynne texted me back that they are staying with a different friend. Or, at least, Aaron is.
Maybe Ely will be sleeping in the closet, but at least they won’t both have to fit into that bed.

3 comments:

Lynne said...

Addendum: Ely is living in the closet temporarily until farm work begins in the spring. I understand that this "farm work" involves being outside for many hours at a time, away from computers & air conditioning, and surrounded by plants & animals that are still alive. Sounds scary to me, but my Ely is a brave soul. So Ely, being the concerned older sibling, is the one who volunteered to take Aaron to visit Gallaudet & RIT, to enable him to move out of the basement. Continuing this line of thought, Ely also (briefly) thought it'd be a fun idea for Aaron to also work on the farm this summer. Until we realized he'd last 10 minutes before excusing himself to go inside & read a book. This is just more proof that he is related to me.

Cassia Margolis said...

He is, but u shd wait and make sure he selects decent reading material before u acknowledge the relationship!

Lynne said...

It's perfectly fine if he reads about rappers instead of urban werewolves.